1099B UTMA accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099B UTMA accounts

Help! I've never see this before and am at a loss... I have a 1099b (3 of them for 3 kids) and it has gross proceeds. Under transaction I have "termination".

Is this reflected on the parent's return or should I do a child's return?
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Utma

The 1099-B should be issued in the childs name and SSN. You will have to get the basis and prepare a childs return if the 1099-B is greater than $950.
    I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

Thanks

They were all losses, but to prove that, I know I need to file the returns.

I appreciate the quick response. Panic attack avoided once again!!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh
      "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

What triggered this event?

Is this a regular UTMA investment account or perhaps a Coverdell?

( I never saw anything called "termination" )

Even if the "child" was no longer a "child" one would think the account would have instead been reclassified and/or transferred.

FE

Comment

Titled UTMA

All of the paperwork says UTMA. There are 3 accounts for children ages 12, 14 and 17.

I also have been given cost basis in each of these accounts showing losses.

At face value, it looks real easy, a regular Sch D, just that it needs to be done on individual tax returns for each child, as each "sale" or termination was in excess of $2800.

Comment

Job security via Sch D

Originally posted by Possi View Post
            All of the paperwork says UTMA. There are 3 accounts for children ages 12, 14 and 17.

I also have been given cost basis in each of these accounts showing losses.

At face value, it looks real easy, a regular Sch D, just that it needs to be done on individual tax returns for each child, as each "sale" or termination was in excess of $2800.
            The whole thing sounds quite weird - are you at liberty to say the security/fund name?? And why were there "terminations" in the first place? (Also be wary of any DRIP issues!)

Since you probably will have unused Sch D losses, looks as if you will be filing annual returns just to keep the probable capital loss carryforwards active until otherwise used/offset. Mix in some potential kiddie tax issues for a decade or so, and you will be having continuing fun!

FE

Comment

Maybe they closed the accts?

Could this have been issued b/c they were disgusted with the losses and closed the accts?

I'm sure this cannot be claimed on the parent's return, but had to ask.... No?

Comment

Yes, and no.

Comment

'nuf said

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  Yes, and no.
                  You crack me up!!

Comment

Working...
                  X