1099-a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099-a

If taxpayer received 1099-A, should a 982 and schedule D be filed showing sale of personal residence? I thought form 982 would be filed if taxpayer received a 1099-C showing cancellation of debt. This taxpayer is personally liable according to the 1099-A and outstanding debt is $200,000 more than FMV.

1099-a

Bumping up hoping to get some feedback. Much appreciated!!

Comment

Actually, if all that has been issued is a 1099A, then there is no need for a 982. There is no debt forgiven at this point. IF(and that is an IF because the lender may not forgive the debt) the lender forgives the debt at a later time, then the issue of debt forgiveness will be addressed then. They will issue a 1099C.

All that is reported from the 1099A is the sale of the property. The FMV listed is the sales price. Then you have to follow the procedure for reporting the sale depending on what type of property it was. Such as a personal residence vs rental property.
      You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

good to see I did it right

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
        Actually, if all that has been issued is a 1099A, then there is no need for a 982. There is no debt forgiven at this point. IF(and that is an IF because the lender may not forgive the debt) the lender forgives the debt at a later time, then the issue of debt forgiveness will be addressed then. They will issue a 1099C.

All that is reported from the 1099A is the sale of the property. The FMV listed is the sales price. Then you have to follow the procedure for reporting the sale depending on what type of property it was. Such as a personal residence vs rental property.
        That is the exact way I handled the one I had last week, which was my first one, and I did not know how to report it. I can't post to the board at work though for advice, my boss was actually wrong when I called for help, and after 45 minutes of digging for info and figuring out how to enter it correctly into the software, I ended up doing it correct. And I told the client to expect a 1099-C, which will be taxable.
        If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

so if you follow the procedure as the sale of a home then section 121 exclusion would apply if the client qualifies right???

Comment

Originally posted by POCAHONTAS View Post
            so if you follow the procedure as the sale of a home then section 121 exclusion would apply if the client qualifies right???
            Yes if they would otherwise qualify.
            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

thanks white oleander

Comment

Working...
              X