Amend Twice???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amend Twice???

I have already amended this return for my client because of leaving a W2 off.
    Now he has a 1099 he forgot. Can I amend a amended return? Never have before. It's bad enough the first go around! Now what?
    SueBaby

Second Amendment

Yes, you can, but I would advise you to wait until IRS completes the first amendment. It has been my experience that IRS cannot handle more than one thing at a time. I have an amendment to do after the tax season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
      Yes, you can, but I would advise you to wait until IRS completes the first amendment. It has been my experience that IRS cannot handle more than one thing at a time. I have an amendment to do after the tax season is over.
      yes, that would be better after the tax season. Thank you, Chief.
      SueBaby

Comment

Agree But Disagree

I agree, wait till IRS processes first amendment but if it is processed by the deadline try to get the second one in to avoid interest on the increase in tax.

Comment

I would amend your client.

Comment

Never finish a return before the end of the first week of February....unless you want to continue to amend amended amended returns for W-2s and 1099s the client forgot about.

Comment

Cha-ching!

Originally posted by Bees Knees
              Never finish a return before the end of the first week of February....unless you want to continue to amend amended amended returns for W-2s and 1099s the client forgot about.
              Anything I do before Feb 7 or so I ask the client a couple times, "Are you sure you have everything?" If they say yes, I go ahead and file them. If they then get another form, they can pay me to amend. Just more money in my pocket -- and then the next year they may wait a bit before calling.

I'll take the extra $$.

Bill

Comment

Wait to amend

Client already had return prepared by another preparer, and filed. Was in a hurry to get the refund. He forgot to include some 1099 income. Now wants me to file the amended return. Should I wait a while before filing the amended return?

Comment

Why wait . He may want to go back to the other preparer.

AMEND THE RETURN
                  Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees
                    The clients THINK that is all. Days after I transmit it they drag in a W2 that they forgot that they even had. I amend. Then days after that they have a 1099! I amend.
                    So yes you're right WAIT on some people. If it is my fault I don't charge but theirs yes I have extra money for my extra headache. Especially the second time.
                    SueBaby

Comment

You never know

he might want to go back, but I don't think so. Anyway, since he has already filed for this year and apparently already got a refund, is there any reason I should wait to do the amended?

Comment

Go fur it...

Originally posted by skhyatt
                        he might want to go back, but I don't think so. Anyway, since he has already filed for this year and apparently already got a refund, is there any reason I should wait to do the amended?
                        If he's already got the refund back, then I say go ahead and amend.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X