Tornado damage timber on farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tornado damage timber on farm

Client had extensive damage on farm. They collected a small amount for sale of the downed timber, which was reported on a 1099S. Would you advise to just include this in with the farm income or put on sch D. I'm inclined towards D but would like thoughts as to which way would benefit client. There is no way, that I know of, to value the timber basis.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
    Client had extensive damage on farm. They collected a small amount for sale of the downed timber, which was reported on a 1099S. Would you advise to just include this in with the farm income or put on sch D. I'm inclined towards D but would like thoughts as to which way would benefit client. There is no way, that I know of, to value the timber basis.

LT
    If he has no history of having been a timber "farmer", i.e. isolated sales maybe
    every 7 years of a little bit of timber, then it's schedule d for me.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I agree. Schedule D. Basis can be taken for timber, but only if it was appraised at time of purchase for allocable board feet. Long term if owned more than one year.

Comment

Working...
      X