New homebuyer 08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New homebuyer 08

Client bought a new house in March of 08 never filed a tax return for 08 can she still file 08 and be entitled to the credit (she is a first time home buyer)..

Go ahead and file

Originally posted by dor1500 View Post
    Client bought a new house in March of 08 never filed a tax return for 08 can she still file 08 and be entitled to the credit (she is a first time home buyer)..
    the 2008 return and apply for the credit. Client will have to pay it back in fifteen installments starting with the 2010 return.

Comment

Oops,

Originally posted by dor1500 View Post
      I just looked it up..........Purchase had to be made on or after April 9, 2008

Comment

This credit has been infuriating to me

Had a caller earlier today. Bought a house Sep 2009. Owned a "mobile" home (not a REAL home, mind you) for 8 years prior. I explain the bad news.

"Oh, well, we didn't OWN the mobile home. We were just paying for it during that time."

REALLY??????
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
          Had a caller earlier today. Bought a house Sep 2009. Owned a "mobile" home (not a REAL home, mind you) for 8 years prior. I explain the bad news.

"Oh, well, we didn't OWN the mobile home. We were just paying for it during that time."

REALLY??????
          uH.. well. now. A mobile home IS a real home, i.e. personal residence for tax purposes.
          So what's the bad news?
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            uH.. well. now. A mobile home IS a real home, i.e. personal residence for tax purposes.
            So what's the bad news?
            The bad news is if you are not a first time homebuyer, you do not qualify for the first-time homebuyer credit on the purchase of a new residence...unless you have owned a home for at least 5 years and you purchase a new home after November 6, 2009.

Rita's client did not purchase the new home after Novebmer 6, 2009. It was purchased in September, 2009.

Bad news = no credit allowed.

Comment

Thanks, Bees

Correct. (Sorry, my short version was too short, I will have to stop doing that.) And when I tell the caller they don't qualify for the long-time credit because of the date, she's knows they MUST qualify for something, so NOW she says, "It was not really a home, just a mobile home."

So I go, 'Uh, yeah a mobile home is really a home."

And she goes: "Well, we didn't really OWN it, we were just paying for it during those eight years."

I wonder how many millions of dollars has gone out to people who made their own rules on this one...
              Last edited by RitaB; 03-06-2010, 07:46 AM.
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X