ProSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProSeries

You preparers who are using ProSeries I would appreciate hearing from you about your satisfaction or lack of satisfaction with this program. especially with the basic program. I am not interested in editorial comments about Turbo Tax although I did a return for a college student whose friend had used Turbo Tax and had gotten him a $110 refund. I did the return and got him a $1200. TAX SOFTWARE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TAX KNOWLEDGE.

I have

I have used both Proseries and Lacerte for many years. Last year and this I ordered Basic. It is very complete and accurate and has great diagnostics, although it is slower than Lacerte. Tech support of course is weak like everywhere else.

Proseries has a certain stylistic feel to it, very different from Lacerte. Many love it and some not so much. Download the trial version and make up your own mind.

Comment

tax software

Have been using ProSeries for a number of years. Generally very good.
      Main problem is I sometimes do not know what I am doing.

Comment

Welcome

Welcom to the crowd. Who does?

Comment

Basic

I have used Basic last year and this year. I really like the interface and the way you select the various forms and worksheets you want to use in each of the different categories like income, deductions, credits, etc. I also use the regular version of ProSeries on a PPR basis, and find the way Basic is laid out to be much easier to use. I have the 2 state and 200 efile version of Basic this year. A nice addition is that with this package, additional states beyond the first two are available on a PPR basis at only $3 each. You can download as many states as you want and you only pay for ones that you print.

Tech support is fair – I only called twice this year. One was a minor issue that was handled easily and another was with an efile rejection for form 2210 calculation. That issue is still outstanding and I am hoping they fix the bug so that I do not have to paper file the return.

I used ATX for a season and was just too nervous about the software. It seemed like there were major updates quite often and they continued far into the tax season. I just never felt confident that the program was accurate, but that was just my perception. I feel very confident with ProSeries Basic, and feel the extra cost over ATX is well worth the peace of mind it gives me.

Comment

I use ProSeries since I bought my practice 5 years ago. I am glad that they included e-file in the price if you pay at a certain time. I feel very confident about the program and had very good customer service experience in the past when I needed them most. Can not say too much of this year because didn't use them.

I debated switching over to ATX, but I am glad I didn't. I also thought of switching to Basic but some functions are missing with Basic, I don't want to miss. Looks like I am stuck with ProSeries until one of us dies.

Comment

Pro Series

Have used Pro Series for a number of years now. Agree tech support knowledge leaves much to be desired. They always seem to be reading from a script or put you on hold while they access their own tech support. Only problem this year was waiting for a printable version of IRS Form 2210 which finally was available for download in early February. Bottom line though is I love it and have no desire to switch,

Comment

Proseries

I have Proseries Express, b/c I also do corporate returns, and I've like it very much. Tech help has always come through so far for me. I have no complaints, and plan on keeping it. Some of the worksheets can be confusing, but if I'm not sure I call them and they help me through it. Even if they do refer to a script or have to put you on hold, they have the right answer and are always friendly.

Comment

Taxact anyone?

I used proseries for several seasons, and was generally satisfied. About 5 years ago I bought another small practice, and the seller recommended Taxact. I tried it, and found it satisfactory. BIG price difference vs proseries. Haven't had any technical problems. It has all the client manager, practice manager, automatic pricing features that a small practice needs. Very friendly data entry, either by direct form entry, or by Q&A format. It seems very suited to a small practice.

Comment

Hey, I am a Drake Guy and that is no ducking around.
                    Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Drake

Brian-

How much did Drake really change this year? Does it have a stronger Windows look & feel? I considered switching, but wanted to see what their 2005 program looked like. I guess I'll have to wait until April 15th to get a trial.

Comment

Proseries vs. Drake

I used Proseries for my first 3 years in business. This year I decided to switch to Drake....left Drake after 4 weeks of pain and frustration. Even though you pay more for Proseries and customer service is not as good as Drake, you get what you pay for. I was on the phone or on the forum board for Drake on a daily basis just to get through a basic return.
                        I would not recommend Drake to anyone. I am still waiting to hear back from my sales guy regarding a refund. We'll see. One comment in defense of Drake is that it is my understanding that many of the programming problems they have this year is due to the conversion from DOS to Windows. So, maybe in a couple of years they will have all the bugs out, but this year tax preparers were debugging the software for them.
                        My two cents worth.
                        Got to get back at it....
                        Noel
                        "Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."- Oscar Wilde

Comment

I have been using Drake for 5 years now and I would not switch even if the other guy is free. It is true they had a few problems this year because of the switch from dos to windows based but everything seems to be working well.

Let us not forget that when one gets accustomed to one software, then it is not easy to accept the other guy. You are well tuned to this one so why switch.

During the last 2 summers i previewed quite a few different softwares and personally I did not like any of them.That does not mean that they are inferior.
                          If you purchase drake before may 31 it cost $995. Thats all you pay.
                          At the end of the tax season request a copy and try it .You may like it. After may 31 the price goes up.
                          Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Pro Series

Originally posted by Gabriele
                            I use ProSeries since I bought my practice 5 years ago. I am glad that they included e-file in the price if you pay at a certain time. I feel very confident about the program and had very good customer service experience in the past when I needed them most. Can not say too much of this year because didn't use them.

I debated switching over to ATX, but I am glad I didn't. I also thought of switching to Basic but some functions are missing with Basic, I don't want to miss. Looks like I am stuck with ProSeries until one of us dies.

Gabriel:
                            What are some features that the Basic does not have that you feel you need. Please explain the free efiling if you buy early. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X