1099R bx7 code 1, but the business folded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099R bx7 code 1, but the business folded

It hardly seems right that my client's newspaper closed down (a journalist) and he had to take his money out of the retirement, then is hit with an early distribution penalty.

Is the logic that since he is only 47 years old he should have rolled it over into another retirement account?

Or is there an exception I am not interpreting correctly?

Bad enough the newspaper folded... ya know? This adds insult to injury. I know life's not fair...
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

The logic is that he should have had a cash emergency fund so he would not have to use the retirement. The only thing I can think of is if he is allowed to take the funds without penalty due to separation from the employment.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Possi View Post
      It hardly seems right that my client's newspaper closed down (a journalist) and he had to take his money out of the retirement, then is hit with an early distribution penalty.

Is the logic that since he is only 47 years old he should have rolled it over into another retirement account?

Or is there an exception I am not interpreting correctly?

Bad enough the newspaper folded... ya know? This adds insult to injury. I know life's not fair...
      He is too young for any exception to apply but I would be happy to learn any different. I agree, these are heart breaking tax returns to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
        He is too young for any exception to apply but I would be happy to learn any different. I agree, these are heart breaking tax returns to do.
        Unfortunately, tax law has no heart - been there, done that.

Comment

Not 55

Originally posted by taxea View Post
          The logic is that he should have had a cash emergency fund so he would not have to use the retirement. The only thing I can think of is if he is allowed to take the funds without penalty due to separation from the employment.
          I looked at that, and for any other one having to do with separation of service, and he had to be 55 to get the exception.

"I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

unfair, yes...

... and I know, that's life.

This tax year seems to be harder on my clients than in years past. Refunds are much smaller. So many out of work, too.

Comment

Working...
            X