E-Filing Quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-Filing Quandry

OK, it is quite late in the office and I am working on a Federal and two out of state returns.

I can e-file the Federal. No problem.

Can I e-file the two other states? I always e-file my home state and CA because I am licensed there but not in these two other states.

My Proseries software has a checkbox to e-file the other states. Do I need to register with these other states or just let the program efile these?

Also, the Proseries program instructs me to be sure to attach a copy of the other state return for the Other State Tax Credit but if I efile, why would I do this. Doesn't the program automatically know the procedure and electronically send a copy to the states in question?

Hmmmmm

Go to the Help menue - EF Atlas. Then click on the respective states and you will find the efile info. As far as the filing through ProSeries goes I would assume that the program automatically attaches the right forms.

Comment

Originally posted by DMICPA View Post
      OK, it is quite late in the office and I am working on a Federal and two out of state returns.

I can e-file the Federal. No problem.

Can I e-file the two other states? I always e-file my home state and CA because I am licensed there but not in these two other states.

My Proseries software has a checkbox to e-file the other states. Do I need to register with these other states or just let the program efile these?

Also, the Proseries program instructs me to be sure to attach a copy of the other state return for the Other State Tax Credit but if I efile, why would I do this. Doesn't the program automatically know the procedure and electronically send a copy to the states in question?

Hmmmmm
      Dear Hummer, (!) grin

Some states may require a registration, you need to check each to see.

At first, (1993 or so) I had a couple of problems with either GA or AL wondering
      where the other state's copy was, but finally convinced each DOR there was no
      way for software to attach it and each acquisced finally.

And although GA accepts a non resident/part year resident return electornically,
      Alabama will not accept a non resident return that way, so it must be mailed in.

I just wish all states would get together on the issue.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Other States

I file a lot of "other states" either resident or non resident/ full year/part year.

Which States are in Question - I might be able to answer

Sandy

Comment

Which States

Dear Sandy:

Taxpayer is a resident in Montana but also has wages from Idaho.

Plan is to file MT resident which begats an Other State Tax Credit from Idaho.

Was planning to efile everything.

Bob

Comment

States

(EA) I have had no issues in efiling Idaho - I have a client there and I believe a few years ago I filed a non resident Montana

Gretel is in Montana, so maybe she will see this post.

Sandy

Comment

What ever you decide...file the state that can be filed alone..if there is one first, then file the other state with the federal.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by DMICPA View Post

Hmmmmm
                Save yourself a lot of grief on this one... When you are doing a state that allows a tax credit for taxes paid to another state, the one with the tax credit will require a copy of the other state tax return. You can either paper file and include a copy or you can e-file and follow that with a paper copy of the other state. Mail it with a note to match it to the e-filed state return.

I do a lot of VA/NC returns like that.

Speaking of other returns, I had a NY return and was so paranoid about e-filing without paying a fine that I paper-filed the return.
                What was the final analysis on being able to e-file NY? Do we have to pay them for permission to file?
                "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Register but not pay

You have to register to file NY returns. You register online and receive your number at the end of the process. You do not have to pay unless you're filing more than 10. Or, 10 or more or?! I paid them their blasted money and put it behind me. I have my fancy NY certificate. Think I'll put it on the bathroom wall.

NY has said it won't reject e-files.

Comment

NY Registration

I believe you have to Register for NY, as Lion posted above, and that is NOT just for efiling, it is for paper filing as well. There is a line item that asks for your NY Registration Number.

Sandy

Comment

Idaho and Montana..

I'm in Idaho, I usually have a Idaho resident and Montana PY/NR. I'm had no trouble with e-filing both via lacerte.

Assuming your software let's you do it, you should be fine.

Comment

Guess I'm in trouble...

... because I did a paper return and I'm not registered.

I'll go online and register. geeeeez Could they BE more troublesome?
                        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

I efile NR Idaho returns for a client. I had to register with them years ago when I first started efiling, but I'm not sure if you still have to.

Comment

I could be wrong

I believe DMICPA is asking whether or not the "State" will allow him to file in those states, as he is not a Licensed CPA in those States. His License is or was in California.

As far as efile - that I know of not all states require registration for "efiling purposes" - I can remember about 10 years ago I had to register for efiling with Illinois, so now I am in their efile profile.

All States require that you be accepted in the Federal e-file program. Most States automatically accept e-filers in their state. Some States have their own efile Program, so you will need to check with the individual State for efiling registration.

Outside of New York for 2009, I have not come across other States requiring efile registration.

Of course this could all change for us in 2010.

Sandy

Comment

Efiled NY non resident

I efiled a NY non resident return last year and this year. Actually think I did a couple of them 3 years ago. I didn't register anywhere. I just efiled along with federal.

I have never heard anything from them. Hope I'm not in trouble.

Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X