Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential client calls for quote

I know this is long but please read!!

Today, received a call to inquire about our fee for doing a return. Person says he is "married, worked, kids, nothing else does not itemize. My return is very simple."

I gave quote. He said sounds great and he would stop by to drop off his stuff. He arrives about an hour after phone conversation. Receptionists askes me to come out because he has 1009-B, 1099-Div, 1099 int, mortgage int, and lots of other stuff.

Client admits he lied over the phone. He said "to get an accurate quote from lots of different accountants, I told everyone my return was simple. You were the cheapest, so I figured your price would be low for all this." I said, "You know my fee is not going to be what I quoted." He said "yes" Then he goes into rant that because he is a Doctor people tend to "jack up the price."

At this point I didn't know he was a doctor. I gave him a good price knowing he would probably be a good client. He proceeded to berate me that his sister (who does taxes) in NY is very busy and would do the return but he is going to have to wait until April to get it done. She would only charge him XXX. He said his return is easy and could not understand why I would not match his sister's price. He asked for his things, which I gladly gave back. He said "I just don't understand, isn't this what everyone has on their tax returns. Mine is so simple."

I said "Everyone situation is different. Most of my clients do not have all the things you do." He just didn't understand my price. I looked him square in the eye and said "Just like you get paid for your education and experience, that is how we get paid."

He took his things and walked out. I saw one of his w-2, it was for $850k He made $50k on stock trades. I had not see those figures until after I gave him my second quote.

He was such a jerk! Makes $850k and worries about the cheapest price. I can tell you he won't find anyone in my town that will do his return for lower than my quote. Noone reputable anyway.

By the way, if he were my brother, I would do his return for free. But maybe he treats his sister that way, so she charges for the stress.

You probably still quoted him too low the second time. With that income he going to get phased out of everything and have AMT too, more than likely. Plus he needs some sound financial planning advice.

Comment

He does have a financial planner

Thanks how he knew exactly what his gain on stock was.

Comment

Do you believe any word he says?

I stopped giving any quote over the phone since just one W-2 can mean very little or very much. I explain and invite them to come by and let me take a look at their situation and the prior year tax return.

I am not interested in anyone just shopping around for the price.

Comment

I agree with that too. This guy would have been more problem than he was worth!

Comment

Be sure to throw in "I charge by time and complexity" in addition to my basic starting fee, which is $60 for any return.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

THAT is exactly right

Originally posted by tpnl View Post
              I looked him square in the eye and said "Just like you get paid for your education and experience, that is how we get paid."
              I am glad you said that, and you are so right! He sounds like an idiot. (Not just a jerk.) He needs to do his own return if it's so easy.

I agree with others. This guy would be such a PITA client! This is your lucky day, tpnl!
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Not questioning your decision, but I'm not sure I would have even given him a second quote. Once he admitted he started the relationship with a lie, I think I would have told him we are off to a terrible start so let's just forget it. I wouldn't even want him to be my doctor if he has such a lousy outlook on life and on other professionals.

Although on the other hand I might have told him something that I often say that when I need surgery; I want the highest-paid, most competent doc in town doing the cutting on me. He should have the same attitude about his tax return that I have about my body.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yeah, can you imagine

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                  Although on the other hand I might have told him something that I often say that when I need surgery; I want the highest-paid, most competent doc in town doing the cutting on me. He should have the same attitude about his tax return that I have about my body.
                  Can you imagine us shopping around to get the best price for an appendectomy? (OK, I just realized that I have never typed that word before in my life. Hope I am close.)
                  If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

If its so simple, why dont you prepare it yourself?

I cannot believe how many times I have heard "mine is simple" from prospects and some of my repeat clients a well. I have been tempted so many times to say "if is so simple, why don’t you prepare it yourself" but we all know the stubborn, pigheaded, conceded, arrogant taxpayer will get mad and walk away. Well said RitaB.

Comment

Quotes

Since I only accept clients by referral - or if they find me on NAEA - I quit quoting prices on the phone. Even the referrals sometimes just don't get it. We all have a business that has expenses just like anyone else.

I had a strange call (keep in mind I am not listed in the telephone directory) and when I asked how she was referred or who/whom referred her, she said a "girlfriend" I asked for the girlfriend's name, not just once, but twice in the conversation.

Yep, she hung up! Go figure. She was also looking for RAL - which I don't process. Still not sure how she got my number.

I still have some of my long time clients in training - I don't need a "new potential" client that is going to present me with obtstacles before we even agree to a fee arrangement.

Sandy

Comment

I do NOT quote my fee in advance. These people call around to get the lowest fee and next year will find a lower fee elsewhere and not come back. One taxpayer said his barber charged him $3 to prepare his tax returns. I do NOT want these types of people as clients. Many of them are allowed EIC which complicates the return. Someone suggested that we tell the caller that our fee STARTS at $300 for simple returns and goes up if the returns are complicated. That will get rid of them.

Comment

I don't get a lot of these type of calls, but I don't mind giving a quote when it happens. I always quote high and caution them that it's based on the info they gave me. I caution that if I see anything different when they come in I'll have to revise the quote. I usually add that it may be due to something they failed to tell me or it might be my fault because I failed to ask about something important. But once you cover rental property, unusual dependent situations, self-employment, and Schedule D items when talking on the phone, you'd hit the major areas. As Dyne said, quoting high weeds out the price shoppers and tends to keep the surprises pleasant when the bill is presented. I guess it's the sales rep in me, but I just don't think it's wise to build your business by striving to be the lowest bidder.

As for any sort of client misunderstanding, sometimes I'd like to crank up the CD player with the words from Dave Mason's 70's song for them as they go out the door:
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

♫ ♫ So let's leave it alone, 'cause we can't see eye-to-eye.
                          There ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy,
                          There's only you & me and we both disagree. ♫♫
                          Last edited by JohnH; 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM.
                          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

You're much better off without this client. He'd always be a PIA. Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Comment

Working...
                            X