First time homebuyer credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time homebuyer credit

Taxpayer bought a home in 2010. Does he have to file for the FTHB credit with his 2009 tax return? If his tax information for the 2009 tax return is not ready (he files an extension almost every year), is there any possible way to file for the FTHB credit sooner?

Either year

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
    Taxpayer bought a home in 2010. Does he have to file for the FTHB credit with his 2009 tax return? If his tax information for the 2009 tax return is not ready (he files an extension almost every year), is there any possible way to file for the FTHB credit sooner?
    You can amend last year (or if not filed include it) or file it on 2010's return.

Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
      You can amend last year (or if not filed include it) or file it on 2010's return.

Dusty
      That's what I thought, but...

In IRS website, it says "The credit for home purchases made in 2008 should be claimed on 2008 tax returns. The credit for purchases made in 2009 can be claimed on either the 2008 or 2009 tax return.The credit for homes purchased in 2010 can be claimed on either the 2009 or 2010 tax return. (1/27/10) "

They specifically said it has to be claimed on either the 2009 or 2010 tax return and they did not say we can amend the 2008 tax return. So it seems to me they do not allow 2010 first time home buyer to amend their 2008 tax return to claim the credit. So they will have to wait until they have enough information to file their 2009 tax return to claim the credit. Anyone agrees or disagree?

Comment

Did not say it quite right

What I meant to say was you could amend the 2009 (that was what I meant by last years) or file it with 2009 if you did not file it yet or wait and file it on 2010's that you would file next year.

Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty2004 View Post
          What I meant to say was you could amend the 2009 (that was what I meant by last years) or file it with 2009 if you did not file it yet or wait and file it on 2010's that you would file next year.

Dusty
          So actually we had the same opinion all along. Thank you Dusty.

Comment

Working...
          X