Injured spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injured spouse

A client wants to file this form even though child support is all over and done. TP thinks the refund would be taken for Medical Bills. I don't think so do you have any experience with this?
    JG

condo fees

I wouldn't be surprised. I seem to remember my sister's refund being compromised for condo fees. My memory could be wrong....

I did one last tax season and was corrected by the IRS when they contacted the taxpayer. Seems that I was supposed to load all the itemized deductions and all the exemptions on the injured side so that she (in this case, the injured was the wife) could glean all the refund possible.

I didn't know that was an option. The fact that the IRS told her to do that was a surprise to me. Maybe I should have known, but I was humbled.

Just voicing my experience.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Well, thanks for commenting on that - I've always wondered about the exemptions and how to split. But I suppose it depends on community property state or not.
      JG

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
        TP thinks the refund would be taken for Medical Bills.
        If client is unsure, I give them the Treasury Offset # to call: 800-304-3107.

Comment

OK - something else I didn't know. Thanks.
          JG

Comment

Head's up on problems?

Originally posted by BP. View Post
            If client is unsure, I give them the Treasury Offset # to call: 800-304-3107.
            Are you saying the taxpayer can call ahead to see if there will be any prior debt paid with their refund?

If so, everyone should have this number! It would sure save a lot of grief.
            "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

Yes, it is a useful number, and it is an automated system, so the client can just follow the prompts, and then they'll get a yes or no answer. If yes, they get a number to call for info on the debt.

Comment

Working...
              X