Gains & Losses in UTMA accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gains & Losses in UTMA accounts

Is it necessary to report capital gains/losses in accounts held for minors in an UTMA account, if the child would otherwise not be required to file? Here's the situation: The taxpayers 2 children, ages 15 & 12, both have capital losses from shares of mutual funds sold. (I believe the proceeds were transferred into a 529 plan) They have no earned income, and unearned income of only a few hundred each. Is it necessary to file a return to report these sales? I don't believe the parent's can report the losses on their own return, correct?

If the gross amount of the sale of securities would cause a filing requirement, then yes. The sale of $1000 in mutual funds, even though it's at a loss, will look like taxable income to the IRS. That way you have a record of the carry forward loss as well.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thanks Dave,

I'm going to file the returns for the kids to preserve the capital losses to be used in the future.

Comment

Working...
      X