Medical deduction - Asprin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical deduction - Asprin

I got into a semi-argument with a client this morning over asprin being deductible on Sch A. They said "Money Magazine" said it was. I asked them to send a copy to me. They did. March issue. (I can't see page #) But under column "You paid the full tab for health Insurance" it goes on to say ". . . Aspirin and eyeglasses count toward the write-off; see IRS publication 502 for a list of other qualifying expenses."

I emailed a copy of Pub 502 and referred them to page 16, 1st column at the bottom where it specifically states "Because aspirin is a drug that does not require specifically aphysician’s prescription, you cannot include its cost in your medical expenses."

What's going on with Money Magazine or what have I missed somewhere??

:??

Maybe they meant qualifies for payments from a medical flex spending acct?

Comment

not according to them

The article from Money specifically states aspirin and eyeglasses are deductible medical expenses. They sent a scan of the page referred to.
      :?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
        The article from Money specifically states aspirin and eyeglasses are deductible medical expenses. They sent a scan of the page referred to.
        :?
        It's the media - whether print or broadcast - they never let facts interfere with the story. Several months ago a major network anchor was broadcasting from Independence , MO saying that Independence was the birthplace of Harry Truman. That is as accurate as saying aspirin is deductible on the 1040 Sched A.

Comment

If we learn from history, if enough people do it, then it becomes acceptable and law.
          Dave, EA

Comment

Article

I have a copy of the article - It is like whoever wrote the article just had a lot to say and run all of the information into one category. It does say "Asprin and eyeglasses count toward the write-off; see IRS publication 502 for a list of other qualifying expenses" - So since you provided Pub 502 listing to your client, it should be clear that MM was incorrect in their statement.

As pointed out - if t/p receives a prescription for "aspirin" from their doctor, and has it filled as a pharmacy prescription - it would be deductible. We did this with my mother-in-law for Asprin and Tylenol as she was in a Care facility and they would not allow us to purchase OTC and bring into the facility. Her Medicare Supplemental which had prescription coverage then paid the cost of the Aspirin/Tylenol, etc. I have to admit Asprin, Tylenol, Advil etc is expensive OTC - so paying through the Insurance Provider was much cheaper

If the taxpayer has a Sect 125 plan through employer that they are signed up on, I understand that the OTC meds can be submitted and t/p can be reimbursed. However, NO deduction on the Schedule A medical.

Here is another excerpt from another source (not IRS)
            Medicines

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for prescribed drugs. A prescribed drug is one that requires a prescription by a doctor for its use by an individual. As stated before, except for insulin (the one exception), you cannot include in medical expenses amounts you pay for a drug that is not prescribed. Example: Your doctor recommends that you take aspirin. Because aspirin is a drug that does not require a physician's prescription, you cannot include its cost in your medical expenses. However, this rule applies only to the deduction for medical expenses. It does not limit reimbursements of medical expenses by employer-sponsored health plans that reimburse the cost of both prescription and nonprescription drugs.
            Sandy

Comment

In addition to the employer plan mentioned by Sandy, OT medications are also reimbursable from a HSA account if they haven't changed that.

Comment

Agree

that the aspirin is not deductible on "A", but discussing its cost reminded me of an interesting related incident.

About 20 years ago a Licensed Practical Nurse worked part-time in my office while temporarily laid-off from a large regional hospital in a nearby town. She still had connections at the pharmacy there and one day brought in a very large bottle of aspirins (maybe close to a quart) that she bought at hospital cost. I believe she said it contained about two thousand tablets.

Anyway, she mentioned that the hospital billed them out on those long, extensively-detailed printouts at $1.00 each. I asked what she had paid for that bottle. "$3.29," she replied.

After that I stopped wondering why hospital stays are astronomically expensive. Only thing I can't figure out is why some hospitals are going broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
                  that the aspirin is not deductible on "A", but discussing its cost reminded me of an interesting related incident.

About 20 years ago a Licensed Practical Nurse worked part-time in my office while temporarily laid-off from a large regional hospital in a nearby town. She still had connections at the pharmacy there and one day brought in a very large bottle of aspirins (maybe close to a quart) that she bought at hospital cost. I believe she said it contained about two thousand tablets.

Anyway, she mentioned that the hospital billed them out on those long, extensively-detailed printouts at $1.00 each. I asked what she had paid for that bottle. "$3.29," she replied.

After that I stopped wondering why hospital stays are astronomically expensive. Only thing I can't figure out is why some hospitals are going broke.
                  Since the $1.00 per aspirin was 20 years ago, I'm sure it's a whole lot more today at the hospital. One of the reasons the billing is so high for these items is the amount of "free" care" hospitals are required to provide to those without insurance. It's just the "way it is" and has been forever and will never change.

Comment

Because

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post

nobody can afford them?

Comment

Thanks to all

who posted a reply. One (MORE) thing I learned is that OTC drugs may be deductible on HSA's. Never knew that.
                      Larry

Comment

I complained about $5 aspirin charges to a client who works in a hospital when I handed him his tax return, then he turned around and pointed out that I was charging him about $10 each for 25 pieces of paper that cost me 1 cents each. Some people just don't have any sense of humor about these things...
                        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                          Some people just don't have any sense of humor about these things...
                          Sooo - Just for clarification, are you talking about him or yourself?

LT
                          Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

I think it was he who mumbled something to that effect on his way out the door.
                            Last edited by JohnH; 03-01-2010, 10:45 AM.
                            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Asprin

I had a client who used to list his medical expenses and he included large amounts for the cost of aspirin, bufferin, and every other kind of pill. Apparently he took a bucket full of pills every day. I never deducted them, but he continued to list them on the papers he brought me.

Comment

Working...
                              X