What do you say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you say?

What do you say to someone when you don't want their business? I had a lady come in (this is the absolute God's honest truth) who proceded to tell me about the money she made this year by filing law suits and collecting settlements. She actually told me that this was how she made a living! Ya sure... let me handle your finances!

Be up front with her

Say you are no longer accepted new clients. Or say your type of income makes me unqualified to do your return. You need a tax lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by mwarney View Post
      What do you say to someone when you don't want their business? I had a lady come in (this is the absolute God's honest truth) who proceded to tell me about the money she made this year by filing law suits and collecting settlements. She actually told me that this was how she made a living! Ya sure... let me handle your finances!
      Are you asking what and how to say you want not to do her return? That's the idea I got from your post.

"Mrs xxxxx, (while smiling and shaking my head gently), I just don't see how I will have time to do your return this year."

Or words to that effect. Just don't make her mad, or she may sue YOU!
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I mostly just wanted to share this because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I told her I was not familiar with something like this, and did not feel qualified to advise her. Also said I was to busy to take on new clients anyway.

Comment

I had a medical malpractice attorney tell me he does not sue any medical practitioner, hospital, clinic, etc in his home town and he makes sure the medical practitioners and others know about it. Think about this.

Another malpractice attorney did sue some doctors and now not doctor or hospital will consider him to be a client.

I would explain to this client that since she considers her occupation suing others all of her settlements are taxable income as self employment and subject to FICA and Medicare taxes including the exempt injury settlements. Also say another taxpayer may consider this not self employment income. Then strap her into your wheel chair, take her down your handicap ramp and place her off of your property, you do not want her to fall and injure herself on your property.

Comment

As she left, another approach might have been to start bragging to her about how you've sued several clients in the past and how easy it was. Not only did you win the cases, but it caused IRS to take a look at them and they wound up getting audited as well.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Wow

what has our "world" come to?

Comment

???

What is wrong with calling (telephone so you don't have to do the facial expression thing) or write a nice letter to the client telling her you just can not work with her this year. If she asks why, say something to the effect you do not prepare returns like hers and give her the phone number of an HRB or Liberty?

I have one very, very similar. Only it's a "he". And he was introduced to me by his girlfriend who I like dearly and don't want to loose, but I'm afraid it will be what it will be. But I will not prepare his return. And it's not because I don't have E&O insurance.

I will never lie, but want to make it as easy as possible to not mentally injure someone. Life is too short to do things one does not want to do.

Comment

Working...
                X