New York Preparer Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Preparer Registration

Hope some of you that have had to do this can help.

Well have a client that moved to new york and it looks like I have to register with them. I found a old post regarding this. Having problems with their website right now as when I click on "Tax Preparer Registration Upload" I get a JSP Processing Error.

But I just wanted to double check....

I can register online for this and get my reg. number through email?

Also I don't have to pay the $100 fee if I do under 10 returns?

Want to make sure because I won't work any further on the return if I can't get this registration stuff.

Yes

Yes, you register as an individual; although eventually it asks for your company name and FEIN, I think. There are a jillion screens to get through. At the end, they actually give you your number and you can print a certificate. Then, use that number in your software for NY returns.

When it asked me if I file NY returns, I answered yes and then found out as I tried to continue that it meant do I myself file a NY return, which I do not, living and working in CT. So, I backed up a screen and changed my answer and was able to move ahead.

If you get stuck, email me with your fax number as I have pages and pages of screen shots from a NY update I attended in December.

Don't have to pay. (I did, though.) Good luck.

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much Lion. I really do appreciate it.

I am going to try again tomorrow. Appears they are having server issues. Maybe they will be cleared up then.

Comment

Check your regular email

Dany,
        I emailed you some info - much of which Lion had so kindly forwarded to me

Sandy

Comment

Thank you both. Sandy that really did help me. I had sign up as a business instead of a individual. I wasn't able to get the number that way. So I had to disable that account and get another one. Just got my number.

Thank you again!
          Dany

Comment

I have another question on the W-2 that the client got. One is for GA other is NY.

The NY state wages shows same as Federal. But since it was a part year it should show much less. Client told me that Payroll Department said NY law stated that the state wage box on the W-2 had to match the federal wage box 1 even if part year resident. But that the wage information for GA and NY was reported correctly.

Have you guys ever heard of this?

Comment

Lion I may ask for those screen shots. I was also having problems getting signed up for two returns. I will give it another shot.

Comment

Ny

Sure, Mike. Just let me know. Or, it sounds like Sandy has scanned them (I'd faxed them to her from handouts I'd received at a NY update), so can email them. NY can't make anything simple. Guess no government can.

Comment

Scan NY Screenshots

Yes I did scan them, send me a PM with your email and I will forward , that way Lion won't have to fax them

Sandy

Comment

I have another question on the W-2 that the client got. One is for GA other is NY.

The NY state wages shows same as Federal. But since it was a part year it should show much less. Client told me that Payroll Department said NY law stated that the state wage box on the W-2 had to match the federal wage box 1 even if part year resident. But that the wage information for GA and NY was reported correctly.

Have you guys ever heard of this?
                    'Tis true. The NY wages on the W2 must match the federal wages. You do the allocation on the IT-203 relying on the taxpayer's records.

Comment

Ah okay! Thanks so much Don.

Comment

Working...
                      X