Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Bank of America 1098 forms report real estate tax on the BACK side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Bank of America 1098 forms report real estate tax on the BACK side.

Some Bank of America 1098 forms report the real estate tax paid on the BACK
    side of the form where it can easily be overlooked.
    Some other 1098 forms say Interest RECEIVED when it should say PAID.

Illinois is now requiring the inclusion of the RE PIN number for RE taxes paid on the TP's primary residence to claim the IL RE tax credit.

Also Cook County IL has in the past had a problem with 3rd parties paying RE taxes from escrow, so it is good idea for TP's to check the payment of their RE taxes and this might be a good time to run the check. At least mos of IL counties have a look up website for the PIN and RE tax payment status.

Comment

Yeah,

Originally posted by dyne View Post
      Some Bank of America 1098 forms report the real estate tax paid on the BACK
      side of the form where it can easily be overlooked.
      Some other 1098 forms say Interest RECEIVED when it should say PAID.
      I just noticed that on the BOA 1098s the past couple of weeks -- it is easy to overlook and I had my clients looking all over the place for it before I accidentally stumbled over one. Beats me why they didn't put it on the front -- guess it would be too obvious there.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
        I just noticed that on the BOA 1098s the past couple of weeks --
        RE tax on the reverse- This is the very same 1098 format Countrywide always used, and since BOA took over Countrywide, looks they're doing the same.

Comment

You can call BOA and complain.

They'll tell you:
          "We care about our customers and always strive to provide better service."

Which means:
          "We're BOA and this is the way we do things - get used to it!"
          "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

That brings to mind

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
            You can call BOA and complain.

They'll tell you:
            "We care about our customers and always strive to provide better service."

Which means:
            "We're BOA and this is the way we do things - get used to it!"
            a funny letter that I got from the Resolution Trust Company/Corporation (something like that -- anyway it was RTC) years ago when they took over failed savings and loan companies all over the U.S. They widely publicized that they were going to "straighten everything out" and so I wrote them merely to get some interest expense for my client who had money in an S&L they took over. Their letterhead's logo was emblazoned in bold letters:"RTC -- RESTORING THE TRUST"

And the reply was:

Dear Mr. So-and-so:

We are unable to provide the information you requested.

If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours truly...

That one made my day -- I chuckled off and on for the rest of it.
            Last edited by Black Bart; 02-22-2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I wrote a nasty letter to the Bank of America about this issue. I remember writing to another
              bank in the past. And this is where my wife worked for over 20 years and from whom she
              received her pension.

Comment

why stress yourself...they are bigger than you are and they don't care. Now that you know where it is just turn the form over.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Those loans

were probably Countrywide loans originally which put the taxes on the backside.

Comment

Working...
                  X