A Gift received is NOT taxable.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Gift received is NOT taxable.

I stumbled across in irs.gov which seemed to say that generally a gift IS taxable.
    This is WRONG! A gift received is NOT taxable. It must be a true gift of course.

agree

A gift is not taxable. Generally. But who knows anymore.

That said, are the gifting pyramid schemes taxable income? I think so, though there can be a gray area. If you spend money to get a gift of money, then that makes it a business, correct?

I see all kinds of stuff surfing traffic exchanges.
    Last edited by powerage; 02-20-2010, 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Originally posted by dyne View Post
      I stumbled across in irs.gov which seemed to say that generally a gift IS taxable.
      This is WRONG! A gift received is NOT taxable. It must be a true gift of course.
      Can you share with us where this IRS statement was?
      Doug

Comment

Found this interesting

Review on ALS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

dtlee: The website is:irs.gov/publications/p950/ar02.html/#en_US_publink100099453
          or IRS Pub 950 wherein it says "The general rule is that a gift is a taxable gift..."
          Perhaps it is explained further but I believe this wording is wrong. We all know
          that a geniune gift is NOT taxable income.

Comment

Gift IS Taxable

The way wording is presented, a gift IS taxable, but it is not taxable INCOME. It is taxable to the donor.

The gist of making a statement that a gift is GENERALLY taxable, is to first make sure all gifts are included, before listing exceptions.

Comment

Apparently IRS meant that a gift is NOT deductible by the donor, but they worded it
              badly. I agree. We sure do not to have IRS wording comments incorrectly.
              Thanks Snaggletooth!

Comment

Working...
              X