Retirement plan loan treated as distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retirement plan loan treated as distribution

Client is repaying a loan from her employer's retirement plan. The loan was taken out before age 59 1/2. If she defaults or leaves employment, the outstanding loan balance will be treated as a taxable distribution.

The questions are: If the default occurs prior to age 59 1/2, does the 10% penalty apply? And if the default occurs after reaching age 59 1/2, will the taxpayer then escape the 10% penalty? Thx!

Originally posted by BP. View Post
    Client is repaying a loan from her employer's retirement plan. The loan was taken out before age 59 1/2. If she defaults or leaves employment, the outstanding loan balance will be treated as a taxable distribution.

The questions are: If the default occurs prior to age 59 1/2, does the 10% penalty apply? And if the default occurs after reaching age 59 1/2, will the taxpayer then escape the 10% penalty? Thx!
    Without researching it for code or precedent I would think that your two answers are yes and yes.

Comment

That is correct. However, if she intends to leave employment, they usually notify her that she has an option to pay the loan off within a specified period of time. Then she can borrow the money elsewhere and pay off the loan. Distribution can be rolled over until she is 59 1/2, or she can leave funds with employer until then in most cases.
      Last edited by Burke; 02-19-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Thank you both, jimmcg & Burke.

Her plan seems to be to skip paying on the loan after turning 59 1/2 in order to create a default, which'll in turn create the "loan treated as distribution" situation. And so she wondered about the 10% penalty application. I'll tell her she'll escape the penalty.

Any idea if or where this is dealt with in the relevant pubs? Would like to have a page printed for the file, but I haven't turned up anything just yet.

Comment

Thx, Jesse- very nice!

Comment

Working...
          X