Cosmetic surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmetic surgery

I have a client in the entertainment industry who had cosmetic surgery last year. I understand that it's deductible, but does it go on Schedule A medical expense, or can I deduct it as a business expense on Schedule C?

Originally posted by Janice Terry View Post
    I have a client in the entertainment industry who had cosmetic surgery last year. I understand that it's deductible, but does it go on Schedule A medical expense, or can I deduct it as a business expense on Schedule C?
    Interesting.

TTB 4-5- Cosmetic surgery, unless to improve a deformity from congenital abnormality, injury or disfiguring disease, is in the non-deductible category of Sched A medical expenses.

Re Sched C deduction - would the surgery be considered ordinary & necessary?

Comment

Cosmetic surgery

Rondo Hatton got along without cosmetic surgery.
      He was extremely unattractive.

Here are some pictures of him:

Comment

Originally posted by Janice Terry View Post
        This is very interesting. Since you understand that it's deductible, can you you furnish us with a cite for that? I would be most interested.

However, to answer your question. If the entertainer is an employee, the deduction would be on schedule a; if self employed, schedule c of course.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

I guess it depends.....

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            This is very interesting. Since you understand that it's deductible, can you you furnish us with a cite for that? I would be most interested.

However, to answer your question. If the entertainer is an employee, the deduction would be on schedule a; if self employed, schedule c of course.
            Had an audit for an entertainer last year. She is a night club "entertainer." Had no problem in getting it allowed using the ordinary and necessary cite. Also got a letter from her employer stating that she would not work as much in that industry if she were not very attractive. I know that the conservative among us would not enjoy it but it can be fun seeing how far you can push the envelope sometimes in these grey areas............Also at the time had a cite from tax court supporting it but don't have it handy at the moment. Should be fairly easy to research but don't have the time right now.

Comment

That really is interesting....was it a requirement of her employment? I never would have guessed they would accept it for such a flimsy reason.
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

So how far do you take this

I have a Sch. C client who says it's "required" that she be tanned and have bikini waxings to be a model. As far as I'm concerned this is a personal grooming situation. Airline stewardesses (is that correct anymore?) can't deduct haircuts and makeup although they're required to be groomed.
                Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Originally posted by tilt53 View Post
                  I have a Sch. C client who says it's "required" that she be tanned and have bikini waxings to be a model. As far as I'm concerned this is a personal grooming situation. Airline stewardesses (is that correct anymore?) can't deduct haircuts and makeup although they're required to be groomed.
                  I totally agree...and there is also nylons for that "stew".
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by tilt53 View Post
                    I have a Sch. C client who says it's "required" that she be tanned and have bikini waxings to be a model.
                    Now that I can go along with after I do the required inspections.
                    After all, I sign my name to the return, right?
                    ChEAr$,
                    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Harlan:
                      I like the way you think, my friend.
                      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Tax Court

Would that have been the Cynthia Hess case in 1994?

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by taxxcpa View Post
                          Rondo Hatton got along without cosmetic surgery.
                          He was extremely unattractive.

Here are some pictures of him:
                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=0&oq=rondo+Ha
                          I checked your link to see the picture and this fellow played in a movie called "The Creeper" I believe in the early 50's. As a youngster, he scared the living daylights out of me in this role and the mood of the movie was just as scary.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                            Harlan:
                            I like the way you think, my friend.
                            An afterthought: "due diligence" is required.
                            ChEAr$,
                            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                            X