Efile Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper filing

I'd rather paper file than struggle to make something file electronically. I've had a few that would not e-file. Maybe I could have kept doing something to make it e-file, but I'm not that hung up on e-filing. If it works, it's OK, but I would not go out of my way to make it work when the only thing wrong is the e-filing requirements.

Comment

Creative withholding?

Originally posted by DonPriebe View Post
      I had to paper file this one also ... http://w2in.com/FunnyW2.pdf
      At the risk of sounding stupid, just exactly HOW did they withhold $4200 from $2026 of income on that Form W2??

FE

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
        How can you give them something they didn't get?
        Wasn't this the method that the IRS said to use a few years ago when people were just filing a $0 return to get the rebate amount? I may be remembering wrong, but thought they said to put $1 interest to make the return efile.

LT
        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

At the risk of sounding stupid, just exactly HOW did they withhold $4200 from $2026 of income on that Form W2??
          I was getting a retirement package that consisted of two parts - a regular pension reported on a 1099-R and an early retirement supplement that was reported on a W2. I elected withholding which was reported on the 1099-R.

The withholding regulations changed, and withholding on the supplemental payment became mandatory. Human relations called everyone and asked how we wanted our existing withholding split between the two parts of the package. Without giving it a lot of thought, I replied "I don't care - split it in half" They did - nothing changed in my monthly direct deposit - and at the end of the year I got the funny looking W2.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
            Wasn't this the method that the IRS said to use a few years ago when people were just filing a $0 return to get the rebate amount? I may be remembering wrong, but thought they said to put $1 interest to make the return efile.

LT
            Yes, I did it a lot that year, Just put in $1 on the interest line, and it will e-file. Remember they WANT YOU TO E_FILE.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post

LT
              Yes, I did it a lot that year, Just put in $1 on the interest line, and it will e-file. Remember they WANT YOU TO E_FILE.

Comment

The $1 interest that the IRS supported was to bypass IRS reject code 192. That is the reject requiring there be income, tax, credits, or payments (more or less).

The reject being discussed here is a 295. Hence the $1 of interest will get around the code 192, but will not get around a 295.

I don't think the IRS really wants people to bypass their errors so much, the errors are basically supposed to make their jobs easier. For example a code 192 prevents pointless returns from being transmitted. It just happened that pointless returns were suddenly not pointless a couple years ago due to the stimulus payments.

Comment

Ultimately

Well I didn't want to post the $1 interest to get around the efile tax return, as the taxpayer did not have $ 1 of interest - I tried everything else I could think of to file a materially accurate return - but nothing worked.

So paper filed the return

I understand the "fraud" returns - but there should be a better system, this was an Unemployment Income of $548 which we all know was excluded in 2009 , and $56 of withholding.

So far my rejection on efiles is way up this year due to the Schedule M problems and now the UI issues and withholding

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                  X