Former Employee w/ 1099MISC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am missing the fight.

You explain to him the choices. The taxpreparer does not make the choice. He can call the 1099 preparer and question why it was reported that way and explain that he did not understand what his tax situation would be that way. Then you tell him he can prepare the return either by him paying the full SE tax or just paying what would have been owed on a W-2 if you would have been an employee for FICA/MEDI. He has already had the conversation with the EX and they know what he is going to do -the preparer does it. You get a little extra money for some additional time spent. Move on to your mnext return.

Comment

I think the fight

I think the fight is between

1) those of us who think independent contractors know what they make, know what the check says, and can do math. They know the whole time that taxes were not withheld. Do a Sch C, pay the SE, and shut up. (This is NOT meant to be an affront to the original poster. We love you, KBTS. Come back.)

and

2) those of us who want to see the provider of the job pay the SE tax regardless of the agreement between the provider of the job and the recipient of the job who is able to eat and buy stuff because of the job.
      Last edited by RitaB; 02-20-2010, 12:10 PM.
      If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Your client has

the choice. Not you. Explain to him the options that is your job. He should be aware what happens the next time. He does not HAVE to pay the SE tax.

Comment

Working...
        X