husband's cancellation of debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

husband's cancellation of debt

Husband died in December 2007. He had a chase credit card bill in his name only. After he died the wife didn't know what to do with the bill and someone told her to keep paying on it or it would ruin her credit. So she did.for over a year.
    Then she called the company and told them that he had died and asked why she had to pay his bill. They told her to pay another amount and cancelled the rest of the debt.

Now she got a 1099C - Cancellation of debt from them for around $1400 that will have to be added to her income.

Is this right? I would not think she was responsible for a debt in his name only. I think most things (house, etc) were in both names.

Any thoughts?

Linda

Is the 1099-C reported in her name? If at all, I think it should be reported in his name and dead people can't file tax returns, I mean for the year there were dead already all year long.

I wouldn't think she is responsible for his debts unless community property state. If 1099-C is in her name she might need to see a lawyer.

Comment

great

You are so right, Gretel, The 1099-C is in his social security number. So she doesn't have to do any thing with it.

Guess you can tell I am feeling a little (lot) brain dead today. Sometimes such small details go right over my head.

Thanks for the imput.

Linda

Comment

Working...
      X