Economic Recovery Payment Verification Telephone Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economic Recovery Payment Verification Telephone Number

Drake Tax Software today issued an email which said that we (or the taxpayer) may
    call 1-800-772-1213 to verify the amount of the Economic Recovery Payment, if any;
    which was paid to the taxpayer during 2009. It says to state: AGENT when prompted.
    Then WHEN we get to talk to an agent, say: Economic Recovery Payment. I tried and
    was put on hold for more than ten minutes. I will try later. I do not know if we as
    preparers can obtain this information or must the taxpayer obtain it.

That's the basic phone line for social security, so I don't know how much information they will give if you're not the taxpayer.
    Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Truthfully I find it more trouble than it's worth to even bother trying to find out the correct amount. If they got SS I'll just file it with the $250 showing. If they didn't I don't. Then if it rejects I'll change it and get a new 8879 filed.

No sense wasting even 10 minutes trying to find out whether they got it or not when you can guess pretty close based on how much SS they got.

Comment

Usually I would agree

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
        Truthfully I find it more trouble than it's worth to even bother trying to find out the correct amount. If they got SS I'll just file it with the $250 showing. If they didn't I don't. Then if it rejects I'll change it and get a new 8879 filed.

No sense wasting even 10 minutes trying to find out whether they got it or not when you can guess pretty close based on how much SS they got.
        but I just had one rejected today and I KNOW that neither taxpayer or their children are SSA recipients, but the reject code says that the incorrect amount was reported on Sch. M. I called Drake about the reject and they said that they were being inundated with calls about people who don't recieve SSA benefits getting this reject code. Sounds like a FUBAR!

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
          but I just had one rejected today and I KNOW that neither taxpayer or their children are SSA recipients, but the reject code says that the incorrect amount was reported on Sch. M. I called Drake about the reject and they said that they were being inundated with calls about people who don't recieve SSA benefits getting this reject code. Sounds like a FUBAR!
          Just a thought - did ask if the taxpayers were drawing VA benefits?

Comment

They don't draw any benefits

PhD w/ a W-2, Mental Health Worker with W-2, wife also has a PLLC Mental Health practice. Been doing taxes since they graduated college, no military experience, no SSA, no deaths in family last year that might generate SSA/retirement benis.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
              PhD w/ a W-2, Mental Health Worker with W-2, wife also has a PLLC Mental Health practice. Been doing taxes since they graduated college, no military experience, no SSA, no deaths in family last year that might generate SSA/retirement benis.
              I guess SNAFU?

Comment

I called that 1-800-772-1213 this morning and it is WORTHLESS!
                Plan on being on the telephone for half an hour or more. An automated system answers
                which is unable to understand anything we say or input via the telephone numbers.
                And they go through several spiels about everything EXCEPT what we need.
                They ask SIX questions and I could not get them to understand my answer to their FIRST question.
                Good luck. I consider it USELESS
                Last edited by dyne; 02-18-2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I tried the SSA number too, didn't work

But, client suggested we go online to his bank website and he could look up his monthly statements. We did and sure enough there was the $250 deposit in June. He was insisting he didn't get it until he saw the deposit. Might try asking if they do online banking and try that route.
                  "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

due to confidentiality rules in my practice, this is something the client does, not me.
                    When asked they say they are sure they didn't or they don't know...I say I am holding the filing of your return to give you an opportunity to research it and get back to me.
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

That's the regular

Originally posted by dyne View Post
                      I called that 1-800-772-1213 this morning and it is WORTHLESS!
                      Plan on being on the telephone for half an hour or more. An automated system answers
                      which is unable to understand anything we say or input via the telephone numbers.
                      And they go through several spiels about everything EXCEPT what we need.
                      They ask SIX questions and I could not get them to understand my answer to their FIRST question.
                      Good luck. I consider it USELESS
                      SSA phone number. If you call during daytime hours you are out of luck because of the volume of calls to SS. This is not a number just to verify the $250 payment. More than likely, if they receive SS, they got the $250. I have uused this method for determination from the beginning and have received no rejects because of it.

It is WORTHLESS for verification of funds due to the wait, but it's great if you are having SS issues. Best time to call: After 5.

Peachie

Comment

Working...
                      X