Attn Gene V: Roof credit for Vacation Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attn Gene V: Roof credit for Vacation Home

See the instructions for form 5695, page 3 in the upper left under the heading:
    Who Can Take the Credits which says "If less than 80% of the use of an item
    is for non-business use purposes, only that portion of the costs that are allocable
    to the non-business use can be used to determine the credit." Notice this does not
    say 50% as I found before but instead says the allocable percentage can be used
    to determine the credit.

Originally posted by dyne View Post
    See the instructions for form 5695, page 3 in the upper left under the heading:
    Who Can Take the Credits which says "If less than 80% of the use of an item
    is for non-business use purposes, only that portion of the costs that are allocable
    to the non-business use can be used to determine the credit." Notice this does not
    say 50% as I found before but instead says the allocable percentage can be used
    to determine the credit.
    Thanks--I see that--however, does that apply to a vacation home?

Comment

It is NOT clear to me either. I believe I will refer such client to a CPA unless someone finds
      the answer for us. I have researched until I am blue in the face and not yet found the
      definitive answer. Does anyone know the answer?

Comment

Form 5695

Looking at the first sentence, they say “improvements to your home” then they define home in the next paragraph as the place where you lived. My conclusion is that this credit does not apply to vacation homes.

Where it say if less than 80% of the use is for nonbusiness purposes. I believe they are still referring to your home. This could probably be use if your using part
        Of your home for office in the home more then 20%
        IMO

Comment

I agree that the credit is NOT allowed on a vacation home.
          The first question on the form 5695 is were improvements or cost made to your MAIN home
          located in the U.S?. Drake Tax Software will not allow ANY credit if this is answered:NO.
          A vacation home would not be a main residence. This appears to disqualify the credit
          entirely and that is my position on this issue.
          Last edited by dyne; 02-17-2010, 05:51 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
          X