Silly question about W-2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly question about W-2's

I used to have an employee assemble returns, and sort W-2's. Now no employee and I am doing the work, and wanting to save time.

How many of you, on efiled returns, keep the Fed copy and State copy to save for IRS if needed? Or do you keep just ANY two copies. I am tired looking for which copies are for fed, state and employee. On 4-up's some times the top 2, or the bottom 2, or the right 2 or the left 2. On 3 up 1099r's, the Client copy is usually in the middle (now two tears or cuts, instead of just one).

Question how many of you keep just ANY two copies? OR, do you make sure you have the correct copy? I don't know whether to be TO PICKY, OR TO SLOPPY. I just can not decide.

Jan

easy solution

Scan them all.

You're going to like the way it looks. I guarantee it.

Comment

Copies

I scan all of them as I am too lazy to separate them when I receive them. Besides 1 full size 8.5 x 11 going through my scanner is a lot easier than just an 8.5 x 4
      But I do know that for an example, State of California will accept whichever copy whether it be Federal, Employee, Extra Copy, etc.

Sandy

Comment

I keep any two copies.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

here I keep only copy B, provided it also has all states' (GA and AL principally) withholding
          on it.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks, I think maybe I am being to picky. I do scan the full page, but attach two copies with the 8879's. Maybe I am double doing it, but being from the old school, I don't seem to be able not to keep the paper. I also buy The Tax Book and their CD, old habits are hard to break. I like the idea of just keeping the copy B, I think I am going to do that.

Thanks for sharing what you do. I love this forum!

Comment

I keep the copies - what if you have to convert to mail.
              JG

Comment

They will always accept a copy. I have done that before. When I have a mail in return, I tell people to keep copy "C" incase the mail gets lost, we can always make copies. I have used copies several times with no problems.

Comment

I keep one copy of any W-2, 1099, 1098, etc. with the client file. If the W-2 is done on the software (blue & white - 4 copies) that shows the gross pay, pretax info, deds and net earnings, along with the w/h exemptions and so forth, I always make sure to copy THAT portion which also has the actual W-2 to the left. It is amazing how often you refer to that information. Fed and/or states will accept whatever copy you send as long as it has all the pertinent info on it.
                  Last edited by Burke; 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X