Exemption-Age 24 as of 12/31/09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exemption-Age 24 as of 12/31/09

Parents are my clients. They have a son that is 24 as of the end of the year and a full time student. He earns under $3650. Can the parents claim him? Need a little reassurance.

I would and did allow an exemption for such a son or daughter. He would qualify
    as a Qualifying Relative if not a child. I have not yet figured out whether to list him as
    a child or OTHER dependent.

Comment

The only real difference here is he's no longer a QC, but can be a QR. So the test that changes is support - as QC he can't provide over half his own support. Well that and the gross income test, but you seem fine on that one. As QR the taxpayer must provide over half the dependents support to claim him. (So if he's paying all his own expenses with student loans he's probably not a dependent, otherwise he probably is still a QR with that amount of income.)

Comment

isn't 24 the oldest a student can be to be claimed on parents return. why not claim him?

Comment

Under 24 for a student.
          Sandy >^..^<

Comment

Educational Credit?

Can we take the educational credit for this student?

Comment

See chart on TTB pg 12-2
              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yes, his education expense may be claimed.
                QUESTION: Should he be listed as a SON or OTHER on the tax returns?
                I would appreciate comments.
                Last edited by dyne; 02-15-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I'd say - Son. Because there is the relationship test on QR also and that is what he is.
                  JG

Comment

Originally posted by taxmom34 View Post
                    isn't 24 the oldest a student can be to be claimed on parents return. why not claim him?
                    Under age 24 at the end of 2009, a full time student for any part
                    of fi ve calendar months during 2009, and younger than the
                    taxpayer (or spouse if MFJ),
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                    X