Education Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education Credit

The American Opportunity Credit is now available for the first 4 years of education. If a student started school in fall of 2005 (fall semester) went all of 2006, 2007, and 2008 would his eligibililty be used up or would the spring semester of 2009 be eligible since he would only be a senior on January 1, 2009.

My interpretation is that until the student has completed 4 years, the AOEC is availalbe.
    Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by dsi View Post
      My interpretation is that until the student has completed 4 years, the AOEC is availalbe.
      From what you are saying, a student is eligible for 5 years of hope credit. The original hope credit allowed 2 hope credit filings. With that expanded to 4 years it still only allows 4 hope credit filings, not 5.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        From what you are saying, a student is eligible for 5 years of hope credit. The original hope credit allowed 2 hope credit filings. With that expanded to 4 years it still only allows 4 hope credit filings, not 5.
        Bob is correct. Reference Pub 970 under "who is an eligable student" for the current Service interpretation.

Comment

The way I see it is : if college was started ion 2009 then the 4 year credit applies. Before 2009 it would be the 2 year Hope or lifetime credit

brian
          Last edited by Brian EA; 02-14-2010, 04:25 PM.
          Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

I do not agree with

Brian, If you took the Hope for the first two years, LTLC for the Jr year b/c the Hope was not available, there is nothing stopping you from taking the AOC for the fourth year in 2009. That the whole purpose of the change, to expand the credit again to students that had run out of time for the Hope. The hope in only for those in the Midwestern disaster area.
            AJ, EA

Comment

I don't read Earl's post that the student actually has used the credits. I believe just as the HOPE credit could be used in 2 out of 3 eligible years, the new credit can be used 4 out of 5 eligible years. The spring semester would qualify and since this is a new credit there is no way he could have used up his 4 years.

Comment

Working...
              X