Residential Energy Credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Energy Credit

If a client's garage is attached to their home, does the insulation for the garage count when considering the residential energy tax credit?

Sure does qualify minus installation charges, but read below for the details of the credit

The tax credits are available for garage door purchases "placed in service" from Jan. 1, 2009, through Dec. 31, 2010.

Your tax credit is based on the total material cost of the purchase (the cost of installation does not qualify). The tax credit is equal to the sum of 30 percent of all qualified energy-saving improvements installed in an existing home in the calendar years of 2009 and 2010.

The maximum amount a taxpayer may claim is $1500 over the lifetime of the tax credit.

The door must have a U-factor equal to or less than 0.30. If the door contains windows, the door must offer a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) equal to or less than 0.30. Ask your professional dealer/installer if your door qualifies.

The door must be an insulated residential garage door.

It must be installed on an insulated garage.

The door perimeter must have a means to control air infiltration.

The door must be expected to remain in service for at least five years.

The garage must be part of the taxpayer's principal U.S. residence.

Comment

it sounds like OP was asking about insulation not installation of garage door. i think the door was already there.

Comment

That's okay. I have the exact same situation and needed that info. THANKS, drdino.

Comment

What if the garage is detached?? Does insulation or door qualify??

Comment

Heated?

Detached garages normally are not heated and have little effect on our country's use of energy. Why insulate? Why pay you to insulate?
            This posting is for general discussion purposes and is not meant to be reliable tax advice.

Comment

I would

My detached garage is so cold in the winter time, I wish I would have insulated - it is colder inside than it is outside

The attached garage is not really warm and toasty and the "builder" did not include the heating ducts to the attached, only walls insulated, but the garage is "almost bearable" (sp) in the winter months.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
              X