Medical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical?

My 80 year old client has to pay $300 twice a year for a hospital administered test. The state requires this test in order for her to keep her drivers license. Is this a medical expense?

Mark,

Medical expenses defined:

Include amounts paid for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease or for the purpose of affecting any structure or function of the body

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Goldberg
      My 80 year old client has to pay $300 twice a year for a hospital administered test. The state requires this test in order for her to keep her drivers license. Is this a medical expense?
      I don't see this as being any different from an appointment with the eye doctor. In fact that's exactly what it is.

If I go to the doctor for a physical, and he tells me I'm in good shape, does that mean the appointment's not deductible? If I decide to have a physical every six months, and the doctor tells me I'm fine every time, does that mean it's not deductible?

I don't think the reason you go for a diagnosis will disqualify the deduction. If I want to apply to astronaut school and a physical exam is required to meet a certain standard of health, that doesn't mean it's not deductible.

Comment

Agree

The purpose of the exam is to diagnose certain conditions that might disqualify the person from holding a driver's license. As the previous post noted, if no diagnosis is made, I don't think that undermines the original purpose.

Burton
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
        X