Rental by C Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental by C Corp

Potential Client called today. She is getting her information together but wanted to know if I can do C Corp and get an idea of what I would charge. The C Corp builds houses and then attempts to sell them profitably but doe to the meltdown in the housing market she has not actually built or sold a house in the last four years. The C Corp does own one "slum property" (her term) which was rented all year for $600 a month and a piece of unimproved land on which there are taxes.

I remember reading on this board that you do not want to be in a position of selling real estate that you held through a corp. Can someone refresh my memory on why this is and give me pointers on how and when to transfer it out of the corp?

That may have been me at chess last spring? I think we were talking partnerships at the time, though Call me 779-0319

Comment

Nope

I have called you and left a message but I definitely and clearly remember reading on the board that you do not want to have a corporation owning real estate. It was specifically argued I believe that let's say a tax pro or a plumber owns a building that is entirely used in his business the or an owner should own the building and the business should pay rent. The point also applied to owning a rental house through a corp and in both cases the idea was that there are unpleasant consequences at the time of sale of real estate owned by a corp.

Comment

Don't remember when,

Originally posted by erchess View Post
        I have called you and left a message but I definitely and clearly remember reading on the board that you do not want to have a corporation owning real estate. It was specifically argued I believe that let's say a tax pro or a plumber owns a building that is entirely used in his business the or an owner should own the building and the business should pay rent. The point also applied to owning a rental house through a corp and in both cases the idea was that there are unpleasant consequences at the time of sale of real estate owned by a corp.
        but I believe it was Bees Knees who told us that here on the board at one time. If so, maybe he'll see your query and clue you in.

Comment

It would be interesting

if Bees would chime in because Snowshine doesn't think there is a problem with a corp owning a rental property or the building out of which it operates and eventually selling either.

Comment

Prior discussions

Here are some of the threads

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

there are more - use the Search box and something like real estate in corp

Sandy

Comment

The issue in this thread is different than the threads that Sandy linked. In one of the posts that Sandy linked, I said it could be malpractice to let a client contribute real estate to a C corporation, because if the client liquidates the corporation 5 years later but hangs on to the real estate, he/she has to pay tax on the appreciation built up inside the C corporation even though the client never sold the real estate.

For example: Client owns a retail shop as a sole proprietor. You encourage the client to form a C corporation, and contribute the sole proprietor assets to the corporation, including the real estate. Client 5 years later decides it is too much of a hassle to operate as a C corporation and wants to go back to being a sole proprietor. Nothing is sold. It is simply a change of business entity. Going from the C corp back to a sole proprietor means the C corp assets are liquidated at FMV. Thus, the client has to pay tax on the appreciation while the real estate was owned by the C corporation, even though nothing was actually sold.

In the situation described above in the original post of this thread, it is different, because it is the C corporation that is building the house and then sells at a profit. There is no desire on the part of the shareholder to keep the real estate and liquidate the C corporation. The C corporation is in the business of buying and selling real estate. If it is the clients desire to sell the real estate at a profit, there is nothing wrong with it being sold inside the C corporation (other than obvious double tax issues that apply to all C corporation profits).
              Last edited by Bees Knees; 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Thank you Bees

That is a load off my mind.

Comment

Working...
                X