Incorrect EIN on W2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect EIN on W2

I have a client who worked as an in-home nurse for an elderly lady. The W2 she received has the SS# of the lady listed in the EIN box. Client contacted the lady's family and they gave her the correct EIN to use. Can I enter the correct EIN in my software and file the return, or do I need to have them issue a corrected W2 before filing?

Re do the W-2

I would say that the W-2 needs to be redone because the IRS wants to match payroll submitted by employers with tax returns submitted by employees. Anyone care to differ?

You might fined that you pick up one or more clients if you offer to do the corrected W-2 for whatever the going rate is in your area. I can only assume that a family member of the patient did the original one and this person is probably none too comfortable especially now that they know what they did wrong. There are a number of not very expensive software packages that will handle after the fact payroll although my favorite and the cheapest I have seen is Busieware which you can contact by googling the name or by asking Snags or Black Bart for their phone number.

Does the family even know that they need to do the Sch H on the lady's return?

Comment

Originally posted by KBTS View Post
      I have a client who worked as an in-home nurse for an elderly lady. The W2 she received has the SS# of the lady listed in the EIN box. Client contacted the lady's family and they gave her the correct EIN to use. Can I enter the correct EIN in my software and file the return, or do I need to have them issue a corrected W2 before filing?
      Was she paid out of a business or trust? They need to issue a corrected 1099 to her.
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

You can file the return -- the correction goes to the Social Security Admin and only gets sent to the IRS later. Keep on them and make sure they file the correction -- I would volunteer to do it for them in a case like this -- or your client will get a CP2000.

Comment

The lady my client worked for died late in 2009. The family member handling the W2 lives in FL, so I will have to have my client stay on them about correcting the mistake.

Comment

Working...
          X