govt retiree credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

govt retiree credit

Would payments from a state university pension plan qualify for the govt retiree credit?

Have I missed something?

What is the Government Retiree Credit? Are we talking Federal or NC or SC (all of which I like to think I know something about) or some other state?

Comment

It is called the Certain Government Retiree Credit for those who worked for the government
      in prior years and for which NO FICA was withheld. The credit goes on the bottom part
      of the schedule M and is designed to provide a $250 credit for the above people who did NOT
      receive the $250 Economic Benefit Payment added to their social security benefits. It
      is a credit but if the taxpayer received a $250 Economic Benefit Payment, the credit
      is reduced by this amount. It is difficult to comprehend. Civil Service retires who retired
      prior to Jan 1, 1987 would qualify for this credit.

Comment

Thank You Dyne

I presume then that the answer to OP would depend on whether the person retired from the State University had FICA withheld?

Comment

YES! That is correct!

Comment

I have a client who is a public school retiree. He is receiving his retirement, and is not 62 yet. I don't think he'll draw soc sec, but as of now is not old enough, so does it make a difference. Doesn't he get the $250 credit?

Comment

It is my understanding that the Certain Government Retiree Credit toward the bottom
              of schedule M is different from the Making Work Pay Credit at the top in that the
              taxpayer did NOT have to have earned income to get this Certain Government Retiree
              Credit.If he received the $250 Economic Benefit Payment last year because he received
              social security benefits or VA benefits the Certain Government Retiree credit of $250 will
              be eliminated. Most of our clients will have received social security benefits and therefore
              will NOT get the $250 Certain Government Retiree Credit.

Comment

Working...
              X