Scanned 8879's in client file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanned 8879's in client file

Is it permissible for us only to keep a PDFof the signed 8879 and shred the original? I'm concerned there would be a need for the original signature at some point in the future. I have no problem keeping the original along with the scanned version, if necessary.

Thanks,

D

I know that the taxing authorities accept a copy for their purposes but I keep the original signature form even though I scan it into the clients files on my computer.
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by DTS View Post
      Is it permissible for us only to keep a PDFof the signed 8879 and shred the original? I'm concerned there would be a need for the original signature at some point in the future. I have no problem keeping the original along with the scanned version, if necessary.

Thanks,

D
      I scan all the time and shred the original, or return it with the tax return to the client. (cuts down on shredding)
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Paper, Ink & Shredding

I print the original return completely to a PDF and save it to a client directory. The client signs teh original 8879 if needed and I then scan the signed 8879 and add it to the directory. Client keeps the signed copy for his records. Same goes for any signed document. I suppose we should find out the official response. Hate to find out I'm wrong. I was wrong once before.

Tons of snow in New Jersey today - Still have one client that wans to come -- On his way... I hate shoveling snow!!
        Matthew Jones
        Tax Preparation
        Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
        Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Official Answer

According to the IRS,

EROs may electronically image and store all paper records they are required to retain for IRS e-file. This includes Forms 8453 and paper copies of Forms W-2, W-2G and 1099-R as well as any supporting documents not included in the electronic record and Forms 8879 and 8878.
          See page 30 of Publication 1345.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Electronic Copies...

Thought so.... (As the pool of sweat dries up from my forehead)...
            Matthew Jones
            Tax Preparation
            Computer Consultant

Tax Season is here!
            Make sure everything is working, extra ink or toner is available, Advil in top drawer!

Comment

Official answer

Thank you for the help!

D

Comment

I would not give up the original signed copy...just in case. I give the client a copy of the original.
                I based this decision on my "prior life" in law enforcement where the courts require the "best evidence"...that means if the original is available it should be presented in court in lieu of a copy.
                I was surprised when I began my career as an EA that the IRS does not require the actual signed copy....so many business do.
                I do the same with W-2's. I two of the originals. I will do the return with an emailed or faxed copy but the client has to mail me the originals prior to filing.
                Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                  I would not give up the original signed copy...just in case. I give the client a copy of the original.
                  I based this decision on my "prior life" in law enforcement where the courts require the "best evidence"...that means if the original is available it should be presented in court in lieu of a copy.
                  I was surprised when I began my career as an EA that the IRS does not require the actual signed copy....so many business do.
                  I do the same with W-2's. I two of the originals. I will do the return with an emailed or faxed copy but the client has to mail me the originals prior to filing.
                  Thanks for your thoughts. With all the boxes and boxes I fill up each year, a few 10x13 envelopes with original 8879s will not hurt me, if the rest of the stuff is scanned and out of here. If that's the case, I'll be a happy fellow.

I should have remembered pub 1345 and everything that is in there. I forgot about it. I used to have a hardcopy in my office that I referred to once in awhile and it was very helpful, but lost track of it when I started working out of the house.

Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X