What do you charge for additional copies of tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you charge for additional copies of tax returns

By law we provide a copy of the filed return to the client. Do they feed it to their dog?
    What happens is everytime they need a copy for a refi or home purchase, etc they call and ask me to send one to their "whomever".
    I never used to charge for this service but I am now. I figure if the IRS can ask 58. for a copy I can ask 50. and include the state.
    With the new 7216 requirements it slows down the process. I had a broker try to give me the IRS form and told him that was not acceptable. I emailed him a pdf copy of my 7216 form and a bill for two years. He didn't want to pay the bill for something he had not seen yet!
    The client thinks we are being the bad guy and not being cooperative. I think the "third-party" communities need to be educated by their companies about tax info requests.
    So how have you been handling this?
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

I charge

$25 for each additional copy AND the copy is mailed to/or picked up by the client! I do NOT fax to bank/lawyer etc.. (I have been known to "waive" the fee IF client can wait for copy on MY schedule (next week)

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
      $25 for each additional copy AND the copy is mailed to/or picked up by the client! I do NOT fax to bank/lawyer etc.
      Same here.

Comment

In addition

For those clients that have email - I also supply them with a PDF copy for their records.

That has made the requests for copy less, as they can print as needed, and they don't have to "tear apart" the paper copy that I provide them.

I also do not fax copies to banker without a charge and an authorization.

Sandy

Comment

I don't charge

I don't charge for another copy unless it becomes a habit for a particular client.

And yes, they do feed the one you gave them to their dog. Their security dog that they need to protect their home office.

I had one lady got a second copy of her 38 page return and handed me 2 bucks to cover my trouble one time, though. And yes, they are loaded. She was actually wearing a fur coat when she picked up the copy.
          Last edited by RitaB; 02-06-2010, 10:20 AM.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

How about this one...

Ex client cannot locate her tax return I prepared and wants a copy. I told her $5/pg max $25 per return. Ex client replied "no thanks".

Do you think my ex client located a lower priced copy of her tax return at Wal-Mart? : )

Comment

Charge for copy of return

Clients get one copy free.

Extra copies for whatever reason, $1.00 per page. I point out that the IRS charges $57 and takes several weeks to produce.

I can produce it now.

Take it or leave it.
              Jiggers, EA

Comment

I respect the reasons that many preparers charge for copies, but I see it as a service to the client unless it's a chronic problem. If someone were contacting me repeatedly for copies, I'd probably charge them. It is a mystery why people lose this info so easliy, but it explains why they have so much trouble getting info together for an audit.

I did decide a few years ago to simply refuse to provide copies to third parties. I always give the copy to the client and then they can do whatever they wish with it. I don't want to fool around with authorizations, etc.

If the client uses email, I'll email a secure copy to them. The nice thing about emailing is that it would be very easy to send another one if they manage to lose the first. My paper backups are always copied 2-up, so if they want a paper copy I tell them it will come to them in that format - I'm not going to enlarge it back to normal size. Never had but one person complain about that.
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                X