NT / Wow! I love this client

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RitaB
    replied
    I knew exactly what you meant, Bob

    Hey, I agree with you, Bob. And, believe me, I've had some people to give me "gifts" that were just attempts to break me. It doesn't work either. I don't charge too much, and it really gets my goat when somebody pulls something like that or hints that my fee is too high.
    Last edited by RitaB; 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BOB W
    replied
    Originally posted by RitaB
    Well, the fee for this client actually went up about 30% this time (sold a rental house and also had energy credits for which I had to wade through receipts), and she knew that before she gave me the gift. She apparently understood, and I think the key is that she really wanted to give me a gift. Now, I know some yay-whos (sp?) give you stuff as an investment, IF you know what I mean...

    Anyway, I try not to let the gifts influence my charges in any way. This woman was really blessed by giving ME something.

    I didn't mean to be a skeptic, but there are all kinds out there and I've had my share of clients bringing gifts, both good hearted and those with a plan in mind to soften up my fees or whatever.

    I want to spend my money the way I see fit, not on something that I would never buy in the first place. So my apoligies to those "Good Hearted" clients and we wish we all had them all the time.
    Last edited by BOB W; 02-06-2010, 10:52 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • RitaB
    replied
    You are making my eyes sweat

    Originally posted by MAJ
    I started doing taxes as a kid. Used to go with Dad to clients houses (that was 36 years ago). One of my Dad's clients used to pay him with Veal.... Did that for years.. Brings back lots of memories... No computes back then!! Hmm.. I wonder if Dad reported that barter transaction?

    My dad passed away two years ago. I now am the owner of the original brief case that I carried as a kid.. It's right here at my feet for every preparation....
    That is the coolest thing! I know you are so proud of your Dad and that brief case. That is an awesome story.

    Leave a comment:


  • RitaB
    replied
    Well, the fee for this client

    Originally posted by BOB W
    Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients" and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns or do you just let them slide with the same fee.
    Well, the fee for this client actually went up about 30% this time (sold a rental house and also had energy credits for which I had to wade through receipts), and she knew that before she gave me the gift. She apparently understood, and I think the key is that she really wanted to give me a gift. Now, I know some yay-whos (sp?) give you stuff as an investment, IF you know what I mean...

    Anyway, I try not to let the gifts influence my charges in any way. This woman was really blessed by giving ME something.

    Leave a comment:


  • Black Bart
    replied
    "Gifting" Clients

    Originally posted by BOB W
    Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients" and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns or do you just let them slide with the same fee.
    Yes, I do have a problem with one of them -- she makes such a (pick one--no; pick all) delicious/scrumptious/heavenly cocoanut pie that I can't quit doing her taxes for FREE.

    So.....I'm hanging a memo on the refrigerator door: STOP ME BEFORE I EFILE AGAIN!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • oceanlovin'ea
    replied
    Needed a good laugh

    I haven't had anyone bring me a gift yet this year. I have in past years.

    But I have had referrals like crazy already this year. One client brought 2 people in (although I didn't actually get a return this year but a promise of future business when his patent is approved and he starts production.
    another one is bringing brother in law with them. Another is sending son-in-law. Long time friends (3) are coming to me this year. One with an amended return too.

    So I say, "Keep those gifts (referrals) comin'"

    Linda

    Leave a comment:


  • BP.
    replied
    Originally posted by BOB W
    Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients"
    no

    and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns
    yes

    or do you just let them slide with the same fee
    no

    I'm usually very blessed to receive some gifts from clients, but this year has been unbelievable already. I'm at my desk snacking now on a fresh fruit bouquet from a client; I've already gotten homemade baked treats, thank you cards, a pretty necklace from someone's Hawaiian trip, couple boxes of chocolates, flowers. And thanks to reminders from Jiggers, Bees Knees, and others here, my fees aren't anywhere near cheap. Best gift is referrals (which I don't pay incentives for) and repeat business.

    Originally posted by MAJ
    My dad passed away two years ago. I now am the owner of the original brief case that I carried as a kid.. It's right here at my feet for every preparation....
    That is beautiful!

    Leave a comment:


  • erchess
    replied
    I find

    that clients whose situations become more complex naturally understand that their fees will go up. By the same token if things get simpler then their fee may actually go down or at least stay the same even though I increased my rates.

    Leave a comment:


  • BOB W
    replied
    Have anyone had a problem with these "gifting clients" and have you ever tried to raise there fee for more complicate returns or do you just let them slide with the same fee.

    Leave a comment:


  • wv112
    replied
    My children grew up with the Beatles music playing all day and night, so I was familiar with the song....

    I still listen to Cubby Checker and "twist the night away" while I burn the midnight oil.

    Leave a comment:


  • MAJ
    replied
    Speaking of cows..

    I started doing taxes as a kid. Used to go with Dad to clients houses (that was 36 years ago). One of my Dad's clients used to pay him with Veal.... Did that for years.. Brings back lots of memories... No computes back then!! Hmm.. I wonder if Dad reported that barter transaction?

    My dad passed away two years ago. I now am the owner of the original brief case that I carried as a kid.. It's right here at my feet for every preparation....

    Leave a comment:


  • SueBaby
    replied
    Originally posted by RitaB
    I had remarked to a client when she dropped off her stuff last week that I loved her purse.

    When she picked up her return just now, SHE GAVE ME A PURSE JUST LIKE IT!!

    Wow, made my day! So thoughtful!
    I have a client that works in a leather shop and he brings me a purse or something that he has made of leather (one year it was slippers); and brings my husband something to not to leave him out.

    He is one of our favorite people and makes up for the ones we want to get mad at; pull our hair out or kill.

    Leave a comment:


  • RitaB
    replied
    Beatles

    Hey, they had the #1 song on the day I was born: I Want To Hold Your Hand.

    Daddy always said Moma about squeezed HIS hand off during labor! LOL!

    Leave a comment:


  • erchess
    replied
    Took Me a Minute

    To figure out why it was advantageous to put church contributions on C. I need more caffeine I guess.

    To anyone who didn't get the reference I called Rita a meter maid because the Beatles had an early song "Lovely Rita, Meter Maid". If you didn't get the reference you are not of my generation though you could I suppose be even older than I am.

    Leave a comment:


  • RitaB
    replied
    Little Story

    Originally posted by erchess
    You have a good friend there who is more than a client. I have some like that too. I guess neither of us charges enough. Now that you are a tax professional and no longer a meter maid you should expect to be paid more.
    This lady comes from another town, and first came to me when her preparer had a "little trouble" with IRS. (Got shut down.) Seems her previous preparer was quite a piece of work. For example, preparer listed their church contributions (and they really tithed, too) on page 2 of Sch C, and even identified them as "Church Contributions". People came from far and wide to see this fantastic preparer. "She must know what she's doing, cause she used to work FOR IRS, and I'm getting all this money back, SWEET!"

    I took one look at the prior year return, and told the lady, "You WILL be audited, and I will help you if I can to get organized, but you owe tax." I went through all the glaring errors with her. Sure enough, they got audited, paid what they owed, and have been with me ever since.

    Leave a comment:

Working...