House short sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House short sale

A co-worker of my wife was just bragging about performing a short sale on her home and the lender waiving roughly $40k in debt. How often in a situation like that do you think they report this debt cancellation on their tax return? This woman had absolutely no idea she would now have a big tax bill coming because of her actions.

To answer your question, I don't know how often they report it, but I imagine that if the bank issues a 1099C, at some point they will be paying for it. The IRS will probably be coming back to them for the taxes. If no 1099C is issued, I would guess that it is not usually reported.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

personal residence

there is an exemption to income reporting for many cases like this if it was their principal residence. I do not have my book with me to look up the chapter and page.
      AJ, EA

Comment

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post
        there is an exemption to income reporting for many cases like this if it was their principal residence. I do not have my book with me to look up the chapter and page.

Comment

Working...
        X