Tax Credit for HAMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Credit for HAMP

I have clients who were upside down on their mortgage. They were able to lower their rate through a program called Home Affordable Modification Program, part of the government's broad bail out programs. He says he heard there is a tax credit of up to $1000 per year for five years and then the gov't will reduce the principal on their mortgage by $5000. He stated he heard Pres Obama speak to this shortly after it was started in March of 2009. Anybody know about this? Thanks John

Classic "I heard someone say something about this". I've heard not ready anything that says they get anymore credit. I think that's something that would have been covered in CE.

Comment

While HAMP does exist, I don't see anything about tax credits.

Comment

Reduced principle

The "credit" they are talking about is a $83.33/month reduction in principle balance for every month a timely payment is made on the renegotiated loan. This credit amounts to $1000 per year for the first five years of the new loan. It is an incentive to make timely payments on the renegotiated loan.

We've just signed papers for a renegotiated loan that had this same provision. There is no credit on any tax return that I'm aware of. The bank will give us credit annually against our loan principle.

Comment

Correct. No tax credit. Watch out for 1099-C in error (TC Memo 2009-239). Look at IR 2099-96, which says Form 4506T-EZ is required.

This is all I know but won't be able to answer any questions on this subject. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X