Dependent-One More Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dependent-One More Time

Client, Husband & Wife, have an 18 year old son living with them. He turned 18 on 12/15/05. Son has no income, does not work, supported 100% by parents.
    Qualifies as dependent for the parents.

2: 18 yr. old son has a son 2 years old living with him in his parents house.
    Can my client,the grandparents, claim the 2 yr. old grandson as a dependent also?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Grandson should be qualifying child for grand parents. I see no problem claiming him since you don't need to worry about tie braker rules.

Comment

I agree

Grandchild is QC. However, someone out there is going to disagree, as there is contention that the child would be his father's QC even though his father is not a "taxpayer".

Comment

Go for it .Its all perfectly legal. No tie breakers
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Thanks

Gabriele, Josh, Brian. Will do as you suggest.
          Also will put a note in my files as to where I got the info in case of audit.

Comment

Qc

Bird Leg, if you want some more confirmation on Gabriele, Josh, Brian decision, you can read Example 4 page 27 Pub. 17—same situation as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC
              Grandchild is QC. However, someone out there is going to disagree, as there is contention that the child would be his father's QC even though his father is not a "taxpayer".
              The grandchild is a QC for both the father and the grandparents. Just because the child is a QC of the father doesn't mean it can't be the QC of the grandparents. It does mean the child can't be the qualifying RELATIVE of someone else.

Comment

Working...
              X