qualifying relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

qualifying relative

One of the tests for a qualifying relative is that they live with you all year as a member of your household,or be related to you in one of the ways listed under "relatives who do not have to live with you". Under the definition of "relatives who do not have to live with you" it states that a person related to you in one of the following ways does not have to live with you all year to meet the member of household test. But it doesn't define how long they do have to live with you. I am assuming it is meant that they would have to live with you more than half the year, but is doesn't actually say that. Can it be that they would not have to live with you at all? I know that a parent does not, but I thought any other dependent would. Opinions anyone? Thank You.

I just read about it in Pub. 17, and the way I read it is the QR does not have to live with you at all.
    Last edited by powerage; 01-31-2010, 05:44 PM. Reason: Grammar error
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Qr

Lovesledz - Welcome to the Board -

There is a search feature on the Board to find prior discussions on a particular interest - here is a link that was posted last week on QR http://www.thetaxbook.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13492 so it might also be helpful to you.

See TTB - Chapter 3 around page 3-15 - which also breaks down the QR requirements.

Sandy

Comment

Thank You. I was happy to see that I was not the only one a bit confused by this. It is cleared up now!

Comment

Working...
        X