Social Security and Schedule M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security and Schedule M

I have already had two efile rejects because my clients told me they did not receive the $250 from the Make Work Pay Credit during the year but actually they did. Is there anywhere I can check the amount that they have already received instead of depending on their memory (most of them are over 65).

Not to be

disrespectful in any way, but we have discussed this issue several times over the past 2 weeks. just go back one or two pages to find the subject.
    To boil it down, if they had SS benefits last year they most likely received the $250 payment.
    We are marking all of the clients that had SS prior that they received the payment if they are not sure. Anyone that was eligible for benefits in Nov and Dec 2008 and Jan 2009 received the payment. Or should have and the records will say they did.
    Last edited by AJsTax; 01-31-2010, 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    AJ, EA

Comment

Hardly anyone remembers, especially with direct deposit.. I automatically assume they received it, as they probably did. Worse case, they will get an additional refund. I'm not treating it as my problem....... If a client owes, I will dig further.

I know, I'm bad...............I do ask the question, but all I get is blank stares>what a waste of time
      Last edited by BOB W; 01-31-2010, 03:43 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by NotEasy View Post
        I have already had two efile rejects because my clients told me they did not receive the $250 from the Make Work Pay Credit during the year but actually they did. Is there anywhere I can check the amount that they have already received instead of depending on their memory (most of them are over 65).
        DON'T ask if if you know they meet the requirements. I guarantee you will less rejects that way. Ask about SSI and VA benefits. The normal paperwork does not show that.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
          Hardly anyone remembers, especially with direct deposit.. I automatically assume they received it, as they probably did. Worse case, they will get an additional refund. I'm not treating it as my problem....... If a client owes, I will dig further.

I know, I'm bad...............I do ask the question, but all I get is blank stares>what a waste of time
          I actually like this approach because if you are wrong, you get to call the taxpayer and tell them they're getting an additional $250. Rather than getting $250 less.

Comment

Schedule M

It is going to be a very long and frustrating Tax Season for us Professionals and having Electronic Filings being rejected/accepted. One would think that the government would provide us the tools (as they did with the Stimuls Rebates in 2008).

If it is any consolation, the DIY group should have equally as frustrating a Tax Filing Season.

I am thinking efile rejects and CP 2000 notices will be on the rise for tax filings year 2009

Does not make me happy!

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by S T View Post
              If it is any consolation, the DIY group should have equally as frustrating a Tax Filing Season.
              The biggest rejections in the DIY crowd are incorrect birthdate and incorrect prior year PIN/AGI. They get a TON of those, so this is probably a drop in the bucket for the DIY crowd...

Comment

Working...
              X