What are the odds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the odds?

This is my 5th season and I've done around 800 returns or so and this has never happened to me before.

Yesterday I had a client whose birthday is 08/07, and a client today whose son had the same birthday. My birthday is 08/07. I have some lottery numbers now.
    If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Cool!

I once had a client where the withheld tax was exactly right. No refund, no amount due. Checked it about five times before I called him.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
      I once had a client where the withheld tax was exactly right. No refund, no amount due. Checked it about five times before I called him.
      I used to see that often on Georgia returns. But the "oddest" refund I ever saw
      was a federal refund of 1040. $ that is.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
        I have done taxes for 34 years. It's only happened to me twice.

Comment

Talking about numbers,

you ever notice when you're doing a C/E/F and you're finishing up, how often you'll get a "suspicious"-looking number like $5,000 even net profit or maybe exactly $20,000 net sales after you plug-in cost of sales and inventory?

Sometimes I'll "massage" it a few bucks to get rid of that and danged if it doesn't give me a round number somewhere else that I don't want to bring attention to and don't want IRS to think I pulled the numbers out of the air.

Comment

Birthdays

My dad's birthday was July 19. When I married Steve, he has a daughter with a birthday of July 19. Then, my son started dating and is still with his girlfriend whose birthday is July 19. Those are our only two children. I think they all belong in my family!

My son's girlfriend is Schwartz; Steve's daughter's boyfriend is Swartz.

Comment

Client yesterday got back EXACTLY what his refunds were from Federal and NC last year. All different income and deduction numbers, but same refunds.
              Gary B., E.A.

Comment

birthday

In 22 years have had 2 tax clients with same birthday (09-09) as mine (one was even same year) - Both of them were a little "flaky" - Mmmmm

Comment

09-08

I'm 09-08 and not a bit flaky!

Comment

Actually, if you get a random group of 30 people together, there's about a a 70% chance that two of them will have the same birthday. Increase the number of people to 50 and the probability increases to 97%.

That isn't the same as starting with one person (yourself) and calculating the odds of another person having the same birthday, but with a large client population you'd expect quite a bit of duplication.
                    Last edited by JohnH; 01-31-2010, 11:59 PM.
                    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                    X