Head of Household Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head of Household Help

Can you think of any reason why, if a person qualifies for HOH in 2009, they might not have qualified in 2007? It is the same rules. Person is the son (40's or so) of taxpayer, lived with the taxpayer all year, dependent, etc. Can you think of any reason the preparer might have had to claim single for the taxpayer with a dependent son?
    JG

How about if the taxpayer didn't pay over half the cost of keeping up the home that year? The rules may have been the same, but taxpayer's scenario may not have been.

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
      Can you think of any reason why, if a person qualifies for HOH in 2009, they might not have qualified in 2007? It is the same rules. Person is the son (40's or so) of taxpayer, lived with the taxpayer all year, dependent, etc. Can you think of any reason the preparer might have had to claim single for the taxpayer with a dependent son?
      I think those rules changed several years ago. One of my client's 40 year old son lives with her and whereas she used to file as HOH, the fact that he's not disabled
      now precludes that status.

There is a good discussion in publication 17 on the issue, and if you also have
      a publication 17 from 2007, it's easy to compare.

Speaking of comparisons, y'all know how the rules on children were designed to
      make it simpler to see which children qualified for all or nothing, e.g. exemption,
      child credit, etc. The 1986 publication 17 chapter on Exemptions totaled 4 1/2
      pages, while the current one has 10 pages to help figure out who is/or not an
      exemption. Progress......!
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
        How about if the taxpayer didn't pay over half the cost of keeping up the home that year? The rules may have been the same, but taxpayer's scenario may not have been.
        Yeah, he did. I guess nothing obvious so just a miss.
        JG

Comment

Working...
        X