1st Time Homebuyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time Homebuyers

I have a married couple. He is 18 years old and she is 17 years old. He bought a house on contract last year with her father. The contract is in his and his father-in-laws name because she is only 17. They have never owned a house but the father-in-law already owns a house.

I have two questions.
    1-Can they get the credit since they are married and file MFJ and she is only 17 if her name is not on the contract?
    2-Can he get the full credit with the father-in-laws name on the contract.

need purchase date

The date of purchase will be controlling here because spouse's age may preclude credit.

The fact that she is not on contract is not a factor. The fact that they are married is.

Father-in-law is not an issue. If taxpayer qualifies, he can get the full credit.

See TTB 11-3 FTHB chart.

Comment

Purchase date was 12/20/09. They were already married then. She was 17 then and still is.

Comment

good for credit

all of last year is good for $8000 credit for FTHB

neither 18yo nor 17yo (presumably) owned a home in prior 3 yrs, so 18yo qualifies. Fact that f-i-law is also on title does not disqualify 18yo from credit.

Comment

would the relation portion of buyer come into play here? Tb 11-4 no credit is allowed if home is purchased from a person related to the buyer. a related person includes an individual related to the spouse of the person buying the house.

Comment

purchased WITH related party

purchased WITH related party. original post didn't say anything about it being purchased FROM a related party

Comment

sorry, misread post

Comment

Disagree

Wondering if buyer does not qualify, based on purchase date and age of spouse. Referencing the 5405 instructions- p. 2, #4- Post 6 Nov 09 both buyer & spouse must be over 18.

However TTB 11-4 says if one spouse meets age requirement, the other is treated as meeting it as well.

These two references seem to me to be in conflict. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5405.pdf

OK- FTHBC FAQ page irs.gov:

"The purchaser must be at least 18 years old on the date of purchase. For a married couple, only one spouse must meet this age requirement."

Agree with Bill- You are right! Good to go!

Thanks, TTB. Relying on just the Form 5405 instructions I'd have gotten this one wrong!
                Last edited by BP.; 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X