E-file a MFS return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-file a MFS return

Do they accept a MFS return to be e-filed now? I remember a few years ago that they did not accept it and a MFS return had to be sent in by mail.

MFS Returns

An MFS return can be filed electronically.

However, I have seen several cases over the years where the return was rejected, with an error code indicating that the taxpayer's SSN had already been used on another return, as the primary or secondary SSN. In these cases, I think the returns had to filed by mail.

As you know, when the filing status is MFS, there is a field for the spouse's name and SSN.

If the client cannot provide the spouse's SSN, then the return cannot be filed electronically.

But it appears that in at least some cases, paradoxically, if the other spouse has already filed electronically, then the second return gets rejected, because the SSN appears on the first tax return, in the field for the spouse...

To return to your original question, the MFS filing status, in and of itself, does not disqualify a return from electronic filing.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
      An MFS return can be filed electronically.

However, I have seen several cases over the years where the return was rejected, with an error code indicating that the taxpayer's SSN had already been used on another return, as the primary or secondary SSN. In these cases, I think the returns had to filed by mail.

As you know, when the filing status is MFS, there is a field for the spouse's name and SSN.

If the client cannot provide the spouse's SSN, then the return cannot be filed electronically.

But it appears that in at least some cases, paradoxically, if the other spouse has already filed electronically, then the second return gets rejected, because the SSN appears on the first tax return, in the field for the spouse...

To return to your original question, the MFS filing status, in and of itself, does not disqualify a return from electronic filing.

BMK
      This might be a tough question. Do you know if they will accept it if the spouse (still in oversea and has never been in the US before) is a NRA (non-resident alien) without a SSN? My tax program puts 'NRA' in the space for the SSN.
      Last edited by NotEasy; 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Nonresident Alien Spouse

Your client may qualify to use Head of Household filing status if she has children, and the other HoH criteria are met...

If she does not qualify for HoH, then the return cannot be filed electronically unless the spouse has an ITIN. The return could be filed by mail, and in the field for the spouse's SSN, you simply write "NRA."

BMK

[Edit: Okay, I responded too quickly, without having read the last sentence of your post. Obviously, your software is doing it correctly by filling in "NRA."]
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
          Your client may qualify to use Head of Household filing status if she has children, and the other HoH criteria are met...

If she does not qualify for HoH, then the return cannot be filed electronically unless the spouse has an ITIN. The return could be filed by mail, and in the field for the spouse's SSN, you simply write "NRA."

BMK

[Edit: Okay, I responded too quickly, without having read the last sentence of your post. Obviously, your software is doing it correctly by filling in "NRA."]
          Thank you.

Comment

In a community property state..

the complications of splitting community income means that we end up filing on paper. Of course that also means that in 15 years, I've only filed 3 MFS returns because there is rarely a advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by NotEasy View Post
              This might be a tough question. Do you know if they will accept it if the spouse (still in oversea and has never been in the US before) is a NRA (non-resident alien) without a SSN? My tax program puts 'NRA' in the space for the SSN.
              To file electronically, the NRA spouse should obtain an ITIN from the IRS to be used for filing tax returns in the future. But it might be advantageous for the NRA spouse not to be listed on the tax return if there is significant income sourced outside the U.S. So one should look at the entire world wide tax situation of the client and spouse.
              Last edited by gkaiseril; 01-29-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

They Just do not understand

I just had a client call and wanted to file MFS. After futher questioning as to why he said that is NEWwifes tax person said it would be to her advantage to file this way. We live in a community prop state and he itemizes she does not. I can not figure out how she is better off so I told him to bring her in and hopefully can educate her on the downside of MFS. We will see.

Superman

Comment

Remember to consider more than the tax savings. There a liability issues for the information and taxes reported and after audit that could affect this decision.

Comment

Or...

Or, maybe the wife's tax person does not want to lose a client to you!

Comment

Originally posted by superman View Post
                      I just had a client call and wanted to file MFS. After futher questioning as to why he said that is NEWwifes tax person said it would be to her advantage to file this way. We live in a community prop state and he itemizes she does not. I can not figure out how she is better off so I told him to bring her in and hopefully can educate her on the downside of MFS. We will see.

Superman
                      It wouldn't be the first tax preparer to file "HOH" returns when TP/SP live together.

Back on the subject of EF, some software don't support the IRS allocation schedule needed to do MFS in community property states. When I worked at Block in .. 06? we couldn't do them.
                      Last edited by David1980; 01-30-2010, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X