Hurrah Meeting Over! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurrah Meeting Over! :)

She came really to discuss the common mistakes preparers are making and see if I am doing EIC due dilgence and the form 5405 due diligence questions. Which of course I do or I can't do a return right.

She went over the Sch C and Sch F the new forms Sch M and L.
    and the main thing if we preparers are not doing right on returns we will be fined.
    I know that I am following the rules so the meeting went just great. I even asked her a few questions I was 'stumped' on and she was very nice to explain and even gave me her card if I have any more questions.

Sign of relief and now I can get back to work!!
    SueBaby

Yaay! Thanks for posting.

Comment

Great! thank you so much for letting us know right away. You probably will have a better night tonight.

Comment

Good news! Thanks for posting.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Great.

Great, Sue! And thank you for sharing with us.

Comment

Sue:

I appreciate your sharing this with the rest of us. While I did not receive one of the letters I wondered what they were up to. Nice to know.

Dusty

Comment

[QUOTE=SueBaby;92736]I even asked her a few questions I was 'stumped' on and she was very nice to explain and even gave me her card if I have any more questions.QUOTE]

Hi Sue - wondering if you might share her explanations for those stumpy questions you had? I imagine if they stumped you, they might be also stumping us

Comment

Sue, did she request to see any of your clients files?

Sue did she request to see any of your client files?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
                  Sue did she request to see any of your client files?
                  No she did not mention any of files to see them or anything like that. She just said to keep a signed 8879 in folder for 3 years and make sure it is signed.

The stumped question was on the due dilignece on first time homebuyer. On 5405 part C it is showing a different question to say No and on the print out you have to say Yes on it. That was strange but think it is my software. But she said to say yes on it. Sort of like a trick question.

She really made a point to make sure to ck all of the due diligence questions or they will be not be accepted.

The probably I have for the client to mail all on the house is: it might be a mistake somewhere on the return and by the time they send a letter to client for me to look into it they will surely tie their money up even longer. Can't put all in computer to see if right or wrong or accepted; so that might cause a problem not knowing if all is okay.

Last night a woman was going out of my office with all to mail on her house and return and just happen to mention she did not change her name on her SS card and I caught it just in time to do ALL of her paper work again to do THAT right or it would have been rejected real fast. I find out things like that by putting it in the computer and changing it real fast when rejected; so hope this does not become a problem with clients. You know how they are with their money!
                  SueBaby

Comment

NAEA e-newsletter

IRS Return Preparer Letter

Enrolled agents have called and written the GR team to share details of their IRS “visits.” In general, the meetings have been brief and unobtrusive (outside of the obviously inconvenient timing). One EA reported, “We were officially done in 12 minutes and chatted a bit more. [The SB/SE Revenue Agent] said the meeting was supposed to be two hours long, but that she had no script, so we just talked about the areas she saw as problems from her RA experience.” Other EAs were presented with printed PowerPoint slides and encouraged to verify and inspect supporting documentation before accepting information for a Schedule A or Schedule C (notwithstanding the existing Circular 230 rules on due diligence).

It appears that IRS is attempting to close out these visits in a short period (a week or two). What is less apparent is how IRS is going to measure the success of these visits, particularly given that the agency took field enforcement staff away from their case inventories in order to conduct these chats.

Comment

Perhaps I am looking at it wrong, but if I got a visit I would be very insulted. The publicity on this, the negative comments that were on the Home page of IRS site about tax return preparers, and the giant push to have everyone file for free themselves makes me feel the IRS would really be happy if we weren't around. Clients, this time of year, are apologizing to me that they didn't do the return themselves because all their friends are telling them to do it themselves. Later on, other type of clients will be greatful for help, but right now I find the whole thing discouraging.
                      JG

Comment

JG- the issues you raised in your post- I definitely do feel you on some of them.
                        BP
                        Last edited by BP.; 01-30-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X