NT-Know it all student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT-Know it all student

I had a long time, low income, client yesterday afternoon that is trying to get everything she can just to stay afloat. Her daughter is attending a post secondary institution. She let me know that one of the guys that she worked with told her that there was a new law concerning education credits, for last year, that would give her a good deduction. She said that he said I could call him and he would tell me about it.

I thought, if he took a college course that meets 3 hours per week for 15 weeks, he had 45 hours of education. I have more CPE than that, plus reading publications, this board and another board.

So, after careful consideration of all his superior knowledge and vast education and thinking about it for about 10 seconds) I said "I'm not going to call him. If you want to have him fill out your return, I'll give your paperwork back and you can take it to him."

As a side note, she is getting $1300 larger refund back this year than ever before.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Remember the phone tax credit?

I had people bringing me ARTICLES about that $30 - $60 credit, like I might not get the word.

Same people didn't know their basis in the $90,000 of mutual funds they sold. Didn't really know why I couldn't just look that up for 'em...

Yeah, and I love the calls: "My mechanic's barber said you could, blah, blah, blah..."
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post

She let me know that one of the guys that she worked with told her that . . .
      Yes, fill-in-the-blank, blah blah blah about what so and so said. My latest:

Client did 401k early dist- owes $300, usually gets refund. Shocked at balance due.

Calls yesterday to say he was told by friend's mom that he shouldn't pay that 'cause there's a $400 credit for working people.

Me- So you had a look at your tax return, then?
      Him- Nooo . . .
      Me- Well have a look at p.2 line 63 for your credit.
      Him- So without that I would really owe $700????

I just said "yes." I really didn't want to say "no" and then get into the whole withholding table change thing. His ex sister-in-law's cubicle mate's pet sitter should be able to bring him up to speed on that.

Comment

Client calls upset they have a balance due when they had a refund last year.

Hadn't even looked at the return yet.

I walk them through the return pointing out that their income rose by $7000 while their witholding fell by $100.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

One has to wonder why we provide them with a copy of the return that was filed. I even, and I'm sure most do, include a five year summary.
          These are the same people that call and ask for a copy of the return for their refi or college aid purposes, or whatever.....I have started charging $50. per copy after the first one that the law requires me to provide.
          Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
          X