Scorp and solo 401k problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorp and solo 401k problem

SCorp sole shareholder with no employees has a solo 401k plan. She did not contribute anything to the plan until Jan 15, 2010 for year 2009. She contributed $16,500. Her 4th quarter payroll was only $12,000. I'm having trouble figuring out how to prepare the 4th quarter 941 since her Wages will be less than the amount of the 401k. Her total annual wages were $48,000.

I'm wondering if it would be okay to have an employee contribution amount of $12,000 and a company contribution of the remaining $4,500? I'm not very familiar with restrictions and rules regarding solo 401k plans.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by BHoffman; 01-29-2010, 12:02 AM.

Maybe her investment advisor can help her. I have a client with a Solo 401K and his investment person is always a phone call way with any questions I have.

I guess you could go back and amend 3rd Qtr and then put the rest on 4th Qtr?

Comment

Thanks Dany - I checked with her plan administrator and the entire amount was recorded as employer contribution, so I'm good to go!

Comment

Can't you just make the entire 16.5 an employer contribution and deduct on the sub-s? I don't see how you could make it an employee contribution for 2009 if she made it in 2010. S-corps have a provision to make an employer contribution after year-end.

Comment

JCH thanks for answering. Yes, the entire amount is employer contribution and will be deducted on the 1120S.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
            JCH thanks for answering. Yes, the entire amount is employer contribution and will be deducted on the 1120S.
            I was under the impression that the employer portion was limited to 25% of compensation.

Comment

NYEA - thank you very much for your response. I was also under that impression and stressed it to the plan administrator, but he said the 25% rule applied to both the salary AND the Scorp earnings. I'm not so sure about that. I have another call in to him regarding that issue. Would be grateful for your direction in whether that is true. As I said, I'm not experienced or knowledgeable in this area and will be slogging through research today.
              Last edited by BHoffman; 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

TTB states that total employer contributions are limited to 25% of combined wages for all participants before reducing wages for elective deferrals.

Comment

I think it can be 100% of earnings up to the max contr amt for the year for a Solo 401k.. (i.e, $16,500 under age 50 for 2009).
                  Last edited by Burke; 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHoffman View Post
                    NYEA - thank you very much for your response. I was also under that impression and stressed it to the plan administrator, but he said the 25% rule applied to both the salary AND the Scorp earnings. I'm not so sure about that. I have another call in to him regarding that issue. Would be grateful for your direction in whether that is true. As I said, I'm not experienced or knowledgeable in this area and will be slogging through research today.
                    Typically, the solo K is composed on two pieces - an elective deferral and a profit sharing portion. The profit sharing is limited to 25% of compensation by ยง404(a)(3)(A).

What you might be able to do is treat the $4,500 excess as an elective deferral. You indicated you were still working on the 4th quarter 941. Seems like this could be a legitimate solution.

Comment

Thank you for saving the day (yet again!)

I just spoke with Plan Administrator, and he said we can do exactly what you suggested.

With your help, a bullet has been dodged. Whew!

Comment

Working...
                      X