NT / Business Owner just got Circular E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT / Business Owner just got Circular E

One of those employers that don't know what they're doing just recieved 2010 Circlular E and called me to ask: "Do I use THIS now?"

Me: "Well, yes." OK, I'm THINKING: "Duh, that's the idea behind them printing and mailing that pub to you."

Caller: "So, this year we withhold income tax?"

OMG, she STOPPED withholding FIT last year instead of REDUCING the withholding. She actually thought IRS gave everybody the option of having ZERO income tax withheld. I'll bet she also thought that WITHHOLDING = LIABILITY too.

Edit: receive. oops.
    Last edited by RitaB; 01-29-2010, 10:35 PM.
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Isn't Life interesting? You never know where words end up in our tangled minds.

Comment

How can it be?

Originally posted by RCooper View Post
      OMG, she STOPPED withholding FIT last year instead of REDUCING the withholding. She actually thought IRS gave everybody the option of having ZERO income tax withheld. I'll bet she also thought that WITHHOLDING = LIABILITY too.
      Rita, are we the only area of the country that has clients this stupid?

Accuse me of having an attitude if you will, but how can any business be successful with this kind of moron on board? Don't tell me they can be this stupid but also be a good plumber or electrician or retailer or mechanic or anything else.

Comment

I know.

Originally posted by Edsel View Post

Accuse me of having an attitude if you will, but how can any business be successful with this kind of moron on board? Don't tell me they can be this stupid but also be a good plumber or electrician or retailer or mechanic or anything else.
        She runs a daycare. I almost laughed out loud when she told me what she had done. I REALLY hope I don't do any of her employee's tax returns!

Roll tide, roll, BTW.
        Last edited by RitaB; 01-28-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

The clueless.

Originally posted by Edsel View Post

My example: A good Schedule C client once advised me she was going to make her own W-2s (has several employees). I furnished her with gov't. issue forms. A few days later:

She (calls): I'm finished with my W-2s. How many copies do I give to the employee?
          BB: Three.
          She: Oh! Okay, I've got more work to do.

Days later:
          She (calls again): I'm letting you do these next year -- it was a lot of trouble making three sets of those red forms for each person.
          BB: Have you mailed them to IRS?
          She: Yes, of course. We are prompt and take care of business.

Such people are not that uncommon. I've had clients who seem to be as dumb as a post and yet they make far more money than I do -- underscoring the old saying "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich?"

Comment

Roll Tide?

Roll tide, roll, BTW.
            Yes by all means. 'round the bowl, down the hole, roll tide roll.

[big Tennessee fan down here]

Comment

You can't make this stuff up...

BB, your story about the el-cheapo W-2 DIYer made me spit coffee on my keyboard.

I have payroll reports on my desk right now waiting for my most cheapo client to pick up cause she couldn't find the forms online (OK, that should tell her something) and reluctantly hired me to do them.

When she brought her info in, she actually made the comment that she was GLAD THEIR INCOME WAS WAY DOWN in 2009 so they wouldn't have to pay as much tax. I am charging her double just for that comment.

And, yes her husband, who actually runs the business, makes more than I do.

Edsel, if you're a TN fan, that's even better!

Comment

Thanx Coop,

BB, your story about the el-cheapo W-2 DIYer made me spit coffee on my keyboard...I have payroll reports...waiting for...client to pick up...When she brought her info in, she actually made the comment that she was GLAD THEIR INCOME WAS WAY DOWN in 2009 so they wouldn't have to pay as much tax...
                ...employers...recieved 2010 Circular E...called me to ask: "Do I use THIS now?"..."So, this year we withhold income tax?"...OMG, she STOPPED withholding FIT last year instead of REDUCING the withholding...
                I also thought these two of yours were funny indeed.

And, as you said, I'd surely hate to break the news to any of her "zero withheld" clients.

Comment

Boy, is my face red

When I saw my "recieve" when BB quoted me up there, I remembered:

i before e except after c, something, something, something...

That's what I get for runnin down my clients. LOL.

Comment

No problem

When I saw my "recieve" when BB quoted me up there, I remembered:

i before e except after c, something, something, something...

That's what I get for runnin down my clients. LOL.
                    "They" make special allowances for us folks from AR/TN/MS.

Comment

Working...
                    X