Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity Theft

Wondering if this possible.

Custodial mom keeps getting "iced" by ex-husband with kids. She lives on the east coast, he lives out west. This is the third year in a row that when she e-files, he's already claimed the kids.

I suggested she might want to get the children new ss#'s, if he's doing it with taxes, what would stop him from utility companies, etc. This guy will ruin their credit without them even knowing it.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Ss#

I would file an amended return claiming the children. Include all school records for the children as well as any other proof that the children live with the mom. Do as many Amended returns as necessary up to 3 years.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Identity Theft

The custodial parent needs to file a paper return, with documents attached showing
      the childrens address, ie. school records, medical records.
      By doing this the IRS will notify both parties to prove their claim for dependents.
      Then your client has a very good chance of winning.

Comment

I did that.

Just wondering if there is any solutions for the future?

Comment

E-file sooner than he does.

Comment

I've never heard of getting SS#'s re-issued. The number they get is their number for life. But, I guess you could call the SS Administration and see if they can do something.

Comment

This happened to a client of mine for several years. He always just tried to file before his exwife did so he could claim his daughter. He went after her in court. But she was also using their daughter's SS# for other things. Identity theft. The daughter is 14 years old and has a credit card bill of $20,000.

Comment

Working...
              X