Downloading W-2 forms from the internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading W-2 forms from the internet

A client asked about his minor son's W-2 (Wal-Mart temp) -- said the kid was told he could get it online. I've heard that about companies too, but never done it.

Anybody know how that works? How do you find them? Major companies only? Pin number required? If so, do all employees have access to it or is there some other procedure to get the W-2?

And finally, does this satisfy the recent IRS notice to us that we should file only when we actually have a W-2 in hand?

The employee will be given an address or there will be a link on WalMart's internal employee network that is a secured site and requires some sort of login. The employee may be given a userid and password if there is authentication required beyond the employees login to the employers internal site.

By the way the U.S. Military also has on line W-2 for service members.

Learn how to do just about everything at ehow. Find expert advice along with How To videos and articles, including instructions on how to make, cook, grow, or do almost anything.

Last edited by gkaiseril; 01-26-2010, 12:32 PM.

Comment

The site is w2express, I think. Wal Mart has a number and then he enters his SS# and pin, which is the current year to date gross from his most recent paystub.
      If I'm wrong, please correct me, because I don't have the tax knowledge y'all have. Cheers!

admin@badfloridadrivers.com

Comment

Quickbooks

When printing W-2's from Quickbooks, employers are given the option to have them on a website, to be accessed with a PIN. So it won't be just big companies doing this.

I would feel comfortable using that as the W-2 for e-filing.
        Linda Deckert
        Minot, ND

Comment

Online W-2

The downloaded form is a PDF that is identical to the "original" Form W-2.

It satisfies the requirement to have the W-2 when the return is e-filed. It is no different than a photocopy or fax.

I think some larger employers may even be implementing a process where once the employee consents to electronic delivery of the form, they are no longer mailing a paper copy. That is certainly happening with the brokers (Form 1099-B), and some employers have been gently forcing employees to use direct deposit and receive an electronic pay stub for quite some time now.

I've commented on this before, occasionally at great length. As we stagger into the 21st century, we are moving in a direction that is increasingly paperless. It is not an exaggeration, and it is not a joke, to say that in some cases, the electronic document IS the original document.

BMK
          Burton M. Koss
          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Working...
          X